Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

installation of gainward 6800gs agp

• Please log in to reply

icikle

icikle

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
I have just bought the gainward 6800gs agp 512mb card and have installed it doing the following steps:

1) Opened case
2) Placed card into agp slot
3) screwed in place
4) Closed case

Now after booting and installing drives it runs good and plays all games, but i get a message saying it has insufficient power and will lower spec to not damage my system. Now i know my psu is too weak and im going to upgrade this, the only question i have is:

What connection do you plug into the card, to give it additional power. I see a place to plug something in on the side of my card which looks like a 3by2 crosshatch connection and i see nothing coming from my psu that will fit this type of connection. My manual says its the same connection that gives power to your hard drive and optical drives but ive tried and this connection is 1 prong too long and 1 set of prongs to short.

Heres a little diagram, the connection on my card is like

- - -
- - -

but the one it says i should be using is like

- - - - (this is the one in that gives power to my hdd)

Im baffled as i need to give it additional power in the meantime before i upgrade my psu but cant see a suitable connection to affix.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. I would think the best source of information on the video card would be the manual. If you don't have one you can probably get one at the manufacturer's web page.