Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Power Supply secrets!

• Please log in to reply

stucuk

stucuk

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Folks,

I have a tower PC that I've had for a couple of years and a couple of days ago there was a pop and dead. So I think PSU and look to a replacement unit. So the first question - is this the correct assumption?

In there was a FSP model ATX-250GT (part number: 9PX2502810) and I was looking to replace this with a Q-Tec ST-400P4, the ATX 12v model. So second, is this a compliant replacement?

So I plug it in and nothing, even the fans on the PSU don't turn. Take off the connectors for everything else but the motherboard and the same. Disconnect everything and short ports 3 and 4 on the 24 port connector to fool the PSU into thinking it is working fine and the fans work fine. What does this tell me in terms of my PC?

So what should I be trying next? Thanks in anticipation for all your help.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
What type of processor do you have in the motherboard? If it's a P4, you need to connect the P4 power connector to the motherboard for it to power up.

Fenor

stucuk

stucuk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi Fenor

Thanks for the reply. No its an AMD processor actually and there is no secondary motherboard connector of any sort. Any other thoughts? Thanks.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
These things are never easy but a couple of other ideas for you to check - visually examine the motherboard and specifically, inspect the capacitors - any blown, burnt or bulging? You may need a magnifying glass or a good pair of reading glasses to get a close enough look. Also, you can check your board specs as most new P4 PSU's have no -5V rail and your board may require it - doubtful but worth investigating. Your description of a pop certainly qualifies your PSU as a suspect, but to be sure - do you have a PSU tester?

:whistling:

Ithandir

Ithandir

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
try connecting the PSU to a different motherboard (without any devices just the motherboard with a processor) and i bet you it will begin working including the fan on the processor. If this happens, it means that something in your Motherboard is burnt (which goes well with the pop) and only thing i know against that is a new motherboard that is all.