Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Connections Deleted

• Please log in to reply

jared.caraway

jared.caraway

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi all :blink: I look forward to your help. I know a decent amount about computers, but my stupid Dell computer has been giving me so much grief.

My problem is that my mom restarted our PC and when it came back on, it was in Selective Startup mode. Every time we try to change it to normal in msconfig, it returns in Selective. McAfee tells me that it's unable to update, something that I haven't seen it do since I've used the computer. There is a shortcut to my SBC DSL Network Connection (I guess you'd call it a connection terminal? I'm not really sure) on my desktop. Normally when I double click it, a box comes up, I click a button, and it connects me. Now, I double click it, the loading cursor comes up for a short period of time, then nothing happens. I check my processes to make sure that nothing is running in the background, and I don't see anything unusual. I went to the Network Connections folder and all of my connections had been deleted (although there might have been only the one). I went through the standard process of trying to set up a new network connection, but I cannot select the option for a PPPoE connection (the kind that requires a username and pass, if I used the wrong acronym). It seems suspicious, very virus-like. I tried to System Restore, but the only restore date available was from about 10-20 minutes earlier. Any ideas? I'll tell you anything you need to know as well as I can. :whistling:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
open c:\boot.ini in notepad

paste the contents here

jared.caraway

jared.caraway

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
gerryf, thanks for the reply!

I don't know if it's because I was logged in on Safe Mode, but when I checked the C drive there was no such file. It's in the C:/ and no deeper, correct?

jared.caraway

jared.caraway

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Affirmative, I have no boot.ini file in C:/. Could it be anywhere else?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Double click MY COMPUTER, choose TOOLS > FOLDER OPTIONS > VIEW

Scroll down and CHECK SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS

UUNCHECK HIDE EXTENSIONS FOR KNOWN FILE TYPES and HIDE PROTECTED SYSTEM OPERATING SYSTEM RILES (RECOMMENDED)

jared.caraway

jared.caraway

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Okay, here are the contents of my boot.ini:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect