Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP filename sort order

• Please log in to reply

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Ok, so I'm up to speed on what's different between the two sort orders, and I know how to change them.

The only thing that bugs me, is that my sort order is set to XP's new "intuitive", but whenever I open a folder it's still in the old order, and I have to refresh the page to have it appear in the intuitive order... Quite annoying to have to hit F5 everytime I enter a page with a few dozen files named numerically... You know what I mean.

Any way to have XP behave correctly, without having to refresh the page?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Do you mean in Explorer?

Close everything, then open 1 explorer window, then set it the way you like it....then go to TOLLS > FOLDER OPTIONS > VIEW and click APPLY TO ALL FOLDERS

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Nah, that's not what I meant. I'm familiar with that trick, heck I made all my folders follow the same scheme ages ago...

What I'm saying is that the filename sort order isn't respected when the window is first open. IE

I've got this one folder with 10 folders in it. Now, on an older windows, it's shown this way

Folder 1
Folder 10
Folder 2
Folder 3
Folder 4 (etc)

In XP, by default, and according to what I set it, it should show this way

Folder 1
Folder 2
Folder 3 bla bla
Folder 10 at the end

Thing is, when the folder's first open, the sub-folders appear in the old method, contrarily to what it's set to, and when I refresh, it goes to the way I intend it to be.

I want to see if we can't correct this bug, to avoid me hitting F5 to refresh ( and therefore forcing the sort order ) everytime I enter such folders, I do have a few like this, specially photos.

Thanks