Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problem Repairing Win2k

• Please log in to reply

YamiYaiba

YamiYaiba

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok, so I boot up my old P2 Laptop (I still use it frequently, despite having better systems) from hibernation. Partway into the "Starting Windows..." screen I get an error:

"Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows 2000 Setup using the original Setup floppy disk or CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair."

So, I've got my SP4 Slipstream disk (my original Win2k CD has disappeared into the ages).
I find this website for how to got through the repair process. I see steps 1 and 2 on my system, but the third step doesn't show up. It just goes straight into the hard drive space page, no EULA or anything, most importantly, no repair option. The worst part is that it shows no signs of recognizing that Win2k is even on the disk still.

My worst fear is that this is due to what is missing, namely, the SYSTEM folder according to the boot up. I have lost many of the program CDs installed on the system during a move to another state last year, and I really cannot afford to lose the current installs. What can I do to attempt a repair? Or, can this problem even be repaired? I have no clue what could have caused a loss of \WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM. Again, this appeared returning from a hibernation, not a reboot, and there is little to no chance of a virus eating it.

IBM's hardware tests in their custom BIOS reads all the hardware as OK, so HDD failure is unlikely as well, though I have had a few freezes coming out of hibernation before......

Edit: I've even tried repeatedly (and furiously) mashing 'r' throughout the Win2k setup to see if something is just rapid jumping into another page. No luck....

Edited by YamiYaiba, 02 June 2006 - 12:18 AM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Not sure what you mean by this

So, I've got my SP4 Slipstream disk (my original Win2k CD has disappeared into the ages).
I find this website for how to got through the repair process. I see steps 1 and 2 on my system, but the third step doesn't show up. It just goes straight into the hard drive space page, no EULA or anything, most importantly, no repair option. The worst part is that it shows no signs of recognizing that Win2k is even on the disk still.

There are no steps on that tutorial, so I do not know where you are getting lost

Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

is not a folder, it is acutally a file from which the registry is built

DId you try rebooting, tapping f8 to get to the boot menu, and choosing LAST KNOW GOOD CONFIGURATION?

Try that first.

It is possible the issue is simply that your system hive has grown too large, since this system has been around for some time

Use your windows 2000 disk to boot like you did on the site you referenced

In the third picture, choose R instead of ENTER

cd \winnt\system32\config
ren system system.old
copy system.old system
Exit

Windows will reboot

If that is indeed the problem, this process will shrink the registry hive by removing dead empty space

If the file is indeed missing or corrupt, go back to the repair console in the step above and see if there is a folder called c:\winnt\repair

Use your windows 2000 disk to boot like you did on the site you referenced

cd \winnt\repair

is the directory found?

I am drawing a blank right now....it is there in windows xp, but I cannot recall if it was new for XP or not....

YamiYaiba

YamiYaiba

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

There are no steps on that tutorial, so I do not know where you are getting lost

I'm counting each new picture w/instructions a "step"

DId you try rebooting, tapping f8 to get to the boot menu, and choosing LAST KNOW GOOD CONFIGURATION?

Already tried nearly every f8 boot option. Nada.

I'm not getting lost. My problem is that the third picture/step/whatever you want to call it doesn't show up. Ever. It skips straight to the 'here's how much space you have to intall/make a parition' screen. It's like it whatever is "missing or corrupted" is making the installer not even recognize that Win2k is on the system.

Or, just another thought, could my slipstream disc be messed up?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
any idea where the original disk came from? Some OEM disks were specially designed without the REPAIR option

What does your third screen look like? The fourth? Fifth?