Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Just finished building a new system

• Please log in to reply

victim of a down

victim of a down

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I'm thinking it's my PSU. I have a Cooler Master Extreme Power 430W PMSR/P that has to power:

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
AMD Athlon 64X2 4200+
Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu LED heatsink/fan
Corsair XMS2gb (1gb x 2) RAM
eVGA Geforce 7600GS
WD Caviar 80gb HDD
WD Caviar 500gbHDD
BenQ 1650 dvd drive
BenQ 5232 cd drive (although I unhooked this to see if maybe too many things were plugged in)
a 56k modem
Plus, the 120mm and 80mm fans in my Centurion 5 case.

Can the PSU not handle this? When I plug it in, I can hear a sort of clicking noise inside. Also, in the back, there's the option of 115/230W, and I left it at 115W. I'm scared I'm going to fry something if I mess with it too much. Any ideas?

Advertisements

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
the switch on the psu is voltage not wattage either for 115 volts AC or 230,If your local power is 11o-120 then no harm done however if like me you have 220-240 volts AC then you certainly have done considerable damage to the power supply(cooked it)

Edited by HaraldR, 02 June 2006 - 05:35 AM.

victim of a down

victim of a down

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I don't really know what that means. I did realize that wasn't in watts after I posted, my mistake. So, by local power do you mean my PSU or my homes power (as in from the outlets?) because that would be 120v.

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Ok the power outlets are 120v so the setting sw on psu should remain on 115 (230v is for other countries where the power outlets are 220v or more)
back to to original Q the PSU should handle that easily

could be a just noisy fan or dust build up how clean is pc inside?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
First thing is that your power supply is marginal for your hardware. Go here PSU Calculator and put you computer hardware into the PSU calculator and you will find you need at least 425 watts. Most PS's run at 70 % efficiency so the real rating of your PS is about 300 watts. The numbers stated on the PS's are usually peak numbers.

Do the fans in the computer turn on when you hit the switch? Any lights come on? cdrom, dvd drive, power lights? If not i would suspect the power supply is not working.

I just built a intel celeron puter for someone. I bought a kit from tiger direct and the first thing i did was check to see if it would power up. I did not have any cdrom, dvd, case fans, or sound card hooked up. All i had was MB sitting on a box, cpu & fan, 1 stick of memory, and a HD. The puter has onboard video. The computer booted to the intel startup screen and would go no further. I installed everything in a case along with the other hardware and stuck a XP cd in the cdrom drive. I still could not get past the intel screen and i heard a clicking sound. After checking memory i replaced the hard drive and windows XP booted up and started installing.

The point here is it may be the hard drive causing the problem. But you still should be able to get to the bios startup screen. That makes me think its the PSU.

SRX660

whity26

whity26

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
clicking noise sounds like PSU