Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Setting up a server to host ISDN..?

• Please log in to reply

Dro

Dro

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello all,

A few months back the gov't passed legislation making all phone lines public property (as opposed to being owned by the phone co. themselves); so, theoretically, it's now possible to host your own phone/cell/ISDN, etc. servers.

I've been searching Google for the last few weeks, when I could, to try and find information about configuring an ISDN server, but it's been to no avail. I live out in the boonies on The Big Island, Hawai'i and there are several locations where Cable/DSL is unavailable so I'm trying to figure out what I could do to turn my Linux box into a dedicated ISDN server (for my own use, atleast, and if possible to set it up so I can provide service to my neighbors (3-5 ppl) who are also stuck on dialup).

Basically, my Linux box is a 486 with less than a 1 ghz board, and 512 ram running the latest distribution of Debian (which I'm probably gonna switch to FreeBSD or another flavor since the Debian dist. wasn't a full package and is missing the necessary files to config the GUI and Internet connection, among other things.....) and I have a dedicated phone line to utilize. That's all I have so far. lol... No modem, software, nadda. Like I said, I'm having a hard time figuring out if it's even possible... Which, obviously, I know it is possible but there's not crap as far as info online that I've found.

Also, since the end-user online needs a phone line and the ISDN modem to connect, will I need a specific kind of phone line to host this or will a regular, dedicated, phone line work if there are multiple nodes to be connected to (like a BBS...?)

So, yeah, any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and assistance.

Sincerely,

~DroBuddy

Advertisements

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Hi DroBuddy,
ISDN requires a dedicated high quality phone line,ISDN alternately known as 2BIQ (2x 64k B channels 1x2k clock Q channel)or microlinks to1Meg and Macrolinks to 2Meg .
Your greater concern living out in the boondocks is that 4kilometres of copper cable from telephone exchange is maximum distance.A macrolink can host up to 30 phone lines(channels)

Dro

Dro

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey Harald,

Okay, so do they need to run a new line for that, or would they be able to use the existing phonelines? I'm not sure where the CO is, but I can find out easy enough.

'Sides, if I'm not within 4km of it, I know people who have property closer to the High-way where I would be able to setup the servers and be able to provide service to atleast my 'subdivision' (and therefore me). I just need a 128k bonded line for business use since I can't get broadband...

Anyone got some good links for setting up your own ISP? I'm gonna start off with that, but I'm gonna try and set something up so I can provide LAN service also. I used to work for Sprint, and I know the basics, so I know if there is a way to use their system, it shouldn't be that hard (just gotta code your own apps, I think).

The FCC made it so all phone lines, COs, and other communication equipment currently in place is now public property; therefore, I should be able to set all of this up without contacting any phone service provider (theoretically). I just need to find some Phreaks who are more familiar with the phone systems, I guess. I know there's people out there who are doing similar things to get free cell phone service (w/o hacking the carriers, anymore). So, there's gotta be a way to setup your own LAN / ISDN provider.

Any links to sites re: setting up an ISDN ISP, gen. ISP, phone service provider, phreak kine BBS's, or [bleep] even IRC rooms would be greatly appreciated. I've been out of the scene for years, so I'm trying to get my bearings straight again. :whistling:

Mahalo for your time and aid,

~DroBuddy

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
ISDN would use the existing phone cable but is seperate from existing phone line.
Contact your phone company,they should be able to tell you if you are OK

Dro

Dro

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Alright... I'll start there. Thanks again.