Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

VPN, Linksys Router, adding laptop connection HELP

• Please log in to reply

nobbyburton

nobbyburton

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
I have at home a PC with a wireless Linksys Router, which I use to access Tiscali Broadband (UK)
The Router has 4 spare slots for wired network connections

I have just been given a work laptop with supposedly the VPN setup so I can access my work servers via the VPN but using my broadband home connection

The ISG woman at work is total crap and we rely on a 3rd party supplier who is also crap for all advice relating to anything on our network and PC's

What do i need to do in order to tell the laptop how to piggyback my home broadband connection, as this is required in order to utilise the VPN, though they havent offered any advice other than 'inserting the ISP disk'

wasters

Edited by nobbyburton, 02 June 2006 - 07:45 AM.

Advertisements

thebucs

thebucs

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
are you asking how to configure the router to allow your laptop to connect wireless, or are you asking how to configure the vpn?

nobbyburton

nobbyburton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
the supplier has already set up the vpn on the lptop and i have instructions on how to enable it, its the connection of my home broadband that it needs to piggyback and thats where they've not touched the laptop or given me any decent advice on what i have to do to get it all working

i managed to set up an internet connection yesterday by uing the wizard and plugging the network cable into th back of the router and into the laptop network port, i could access the internet though slow, but couldnt utilise the VPN or access work emails

thebucs

thebucs

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
what vpn software are you using? or is it web based like what we use (netillavo)?

nobbyburton

nobbyburton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
safenet soft remote (mobile)

thebucs

thebucs

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
are you receiving any specific errors when trying to log on to vpn?

nobbyburton

nobbyburton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
well the vpn part of it asks for a connection which i presume is from the laptop to the router, that connects ok, its the bit from the router to the broadband if using the laptop that appears to the problem

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
you shouldn't need to do anything special other than connecting the laptop to the router.... let's start with getting the laptop to surf the internet (forget about the vpn for now)....can you connect the laptop to the router and surf the internet? or no?