Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

backup keeps crashing at 4 gigs with Windows 2000

• Please log in to reply

Jeremy_Scheiderer

Jeremy_Scheiderer

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I am using Veritas Backup Exec 8.6. I just set it up to backup to two external Hard Drives and Veritas will write to it up to 4 gigs of information. However, after that the drive just craps out on me and won't write anymore data to it. Can someone please help my friend told me its a drive limitation to Windows 2000. :whistling:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
don't think it is a drive limitation...are you using compression?

Jeremy_Scheiderer

Jeremy_Scheiderer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I believe that I am how would I be able to check if I am using compression?

Jeremy_Scheiderer

Jeremy_Scheiderer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Well I was able to figure it out. The drives were formated in FAT32 which only allows 4 gigs so I formated them to NTFS and now they work like a charm. Thanks for the help.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ahh, good call

That had not occured to me---Some compression algorhythms (I do not know what Veritas uses) cannot compress a file to something larger than 2gb, I know, so I was thinking Veritas was using one with a ceiling of 4gb.

KGHN

KGHN

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
It's not a compression issue. FAT32 has a *file size* limit of 4G. The drive can format larger, but any one file can't be more than 4G. The backup file is a single file, so it chokes at 4G under FAT32. I had to format an AData JOGR 8G USB flash drive to NTFS to get around this exact problem. (The backup didn't restore properly after all that, anyway. I finally used Norton Ghost 2002 to copy the drive contents to a new drive successfully.)