Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wrong frequencies for CPU and Memory

• Please log in to reply

Samjula

Samjula

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hi, A program called CPU-Z, used for checking the specifications of your pc states that my 3.4ghz intel lga 775 cpu is only running at 2.8ghz, whereas the bios and control say its running at 3.4ghz, the FSB is at 200mhz which i beleive is correct, however the multiplier is at x14, where it should be x17 i think. Also my 2gigs of corsair ddr2 533hmz memory is shown as running at 266mhz, which is half what it should. Does anyone know how i can rectify this. Thanks, Sam

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Humm, don't know if you should necessarily rely on that CPU-Z program. Try running Belarc Advisor and see what it says. Do a google search. It is free.

Samjula

Samjula

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hi, i used belarc and it said that my cpu was a clock speed of 3.4ghz, but doesnt that just show the default and not the actual speed. As with cpu-z it shows the realtime speed (i think) the speed varies very very slightly by like +/- .3mhz or so. Also belarc doesnt state the memory frequencies, just the amount. Ive since downloaded another program called everest which states the same as CPU-Z, cpu @ 2.8ghz and memory @ 266mhz

Edited by Samjula, 02 June 2006 - 04:11 PM.

Samjula

Samjula

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Here are some screens of everest, showing the values

Attached Files

• Attached File  cpu.bmp   243.87KB   199 downloads

Edited by Samjula, 02 June 2006 - 04:23 PM.

Samjula

Samjula

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Memory..Attached File  memory.bmp   447.07KB   161 downloads

memberix

memberix

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
The CPU-Z is showing the curent CPU frequency. because of the power saving
and cooling technology the CPU is changing its speed according to how much its used. for example if you type a document in word you dont need the full cpu speed, so the CPU underclocks itself to lower frequency to save power and stay cooler. thats why it shows 2.8GHZ. run CPU-Z and run and CPU hungry application like MP3 or video encoder and you will see the CPU frequency rises to 3.4GHZ. AS for the memory its showing 266MHz cause its showing the physical (real) frequency. because the memory is DDR (double data rate) that number multiplys by 2 to get the effective speed. So nothings wrong with your PC.

Edited by memberix, 02 June 2006 - 04:56 PM.

Samjula

Samjula

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Oh good, thanks, thats reassuring

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You need to go into your bios and set the multiplier to 17 for a 3.4 processor.

http://www.tomshardw...omer/page2.html

Your memory is fine. The actual front side bus on pentium 4's is 200 mhz. The computer can run DDR400 memory because the memory is "double data rate" type memory.

a little over halfway down at this site is the chart for FSB spec's.

http://www.answers.c.../front-side-bus

Other than your multiplier being wrong the computer and CPU-Z is running right.

SRX660

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Hi, A program called CPU-Z, used for checking the specifications of your pc states that my 3.4ghz intel lga 775 cpu is only running at 2.8ghz, whereas the bios and control say its running at 3.4ghz, the FSB is at 200mhz which i beleive is correct, however the multiplier is at x14, where it should be x17 i think. Also my 2gigs of corsair ddr2 533hmz memory is shown as running at 266mhz, which is half what it should. Does anyone know how i can rectify this. Thanks, Sam

Well its not running half what it should because the way the cpu gets its speed is from the multiplier times Half of the overall memory speed.

A pentium 4 socket 478 3.0e prescott stock will run at a multiplier of 15 then a fsb (front side bus) of 200 if you use pc3200 memory rated at 400mhz.

So its not running at half of speed, thats the way its suppost to be, split in half of the overall memory speed but still your cpu clock is set wrong somehow.

Go into your bios and see what the real memory speed is being used for the fsb (front side bus) and tell us the exact multiplier.

Pentium 4 cpu's are suppost to have locked multipliers but very few have unlocked multipliers and you are lucky if you happend to get ahold of one somehow.

If you multiplier is infact at 14 and your fsb at 200mhz that equals the 2800mhz.

You can get the speed higher by overclocking but dont go up to 266mhz fsb with a 14 multiplier that would equal 3724 and is way too high and your pc wouldnt even boot up.

You can try upping the fsb speed up alittle if you want your cpu speed higher.

For some reason your cpu does seem like it has a wrong multiplier 17x200 would be thought to be the right settings.

You would think that the fsb would be 266mhz but its not..

Look in your bios and post back what you find, just see if the multiplier is infact locked or not.

A couple mobos can unlock the multipliers I have herd of and if you get ahold of a test chip or lab chip and thats about the only way a pentium 4 can be unlocked now.

memberix

memberix

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
In CPU-Z the multiplier value it shows is 14 but next to that value does it show (14 - 17). just search for EIST on google and everything will be explained.

Edited by memberix, 02 June 2006 - 05:19 PM.

Samjula

Samjula

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

The CPU-Z is showing the curent CPU frequency. because of the power saving
and cooling technology the CPU is changing its speed according to how much its used. for example if you type a document in word you dont need the full cpu speed, so the CPU underclocks itself to lower frequency to save power and stay cooler. thats why it shows 2.8GHZ. run CPU-Z and run and CPU hungry application like MP3 or video encoder and you will see the CPU frequency rises to 3.4GHZ. AS for the memory its showing 266MHz cause its showing the physical (real) frequency. because the memory is DDR (double data rate) that number multiplys by 2 to get the effective speed. So nothings wrong with your PC.

Its ok guys memberix was right, i ran heavy load, a program that gives your cpu a lot to do and then ran cpu-z again and the clock speed goes up to 3.4ghz