Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Optimisation Of A PC

• Please log in to reply

Ithandir

Ithandir

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have allways looked at video card benchmarks with games and i played most of those games. i saw quite a lot of video game benchmarks in which my cards FPS was so HIGH that it surprised me. on my PC Doom 3 with all settings maxed out (including AA and AF etc.) barely moves. I got a Geforce 6600 GT 128MB core clock at 500mhz memory at 900mhz. On websites such as tomshardware my card gets a fine framerate with the same settings as above while mine as i said doesnt handle it.

my specs:
350W power supply (i really want to buy a 550 one because it seems this one limits me)
P4 2.8Ghz 1MB lvl2 Cache - HT ENABLED (should i turn it off btw? makes CPU warm up 10 times faster thats for sure but i dont see a big difference in video games) CPU has 800mhz FSB and motherboard also.
2x512mb 400mhz ddr ram - built as dual channel (each has separate channel together 800mhz which goes well with the CPU)
HD is 5200 rounds 160SATA Western Digital.
got a 19" LCD monitor with 25ms delay (yea i know, but im doing fine with it)
Mother is Intel D865GBF

if ive missed anything please tell me. it seems the video card should handle all kinds of things and yet im not getting results at all similar to the benchmark ones. i think the next processor il buy will be AMD since they seem to have WAY more speed - i have a 750duron of AMD near the TV - it handles decoding of all codecs with low CPU usage and all in all in all my searches over the internet it seems like AMD is way above Intel and ppl buy Intel just because its a more famous brand.

Please Help me optimize my computer.

Edited by Ithandir, 03 June 2006 - 04:25 AM.

Advertisements

Ithandir

Ithandir

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
anyone?

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Whats the refresh rate of your monitor, and also, whats the power level going to your video card? If the voltage is too low, that could cause the slowdown in the games. And finally, does your game run fine on a lower quality setting via the game menu options? Basically, are you sure the problem is not the fault of another computer comonant such as RAM, video card or HDD heat? Speaking of which, how hot does your card, CPU, and HDD get when you play those games?

Unfortunatly I am only able to check back here every other day or so, so I appologize for any delay in response, but I will be happy to help you any way I can.

--Chris

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well common sense says doom3 6600GT on high settings doesnt sound likely considering 6800s crawl on doom3 on maxed out settings thats not likely and 6600GTs arent fast gfx cards when compared to its closest competion.

The rest of your PC though will be slower than a tomshardware rig, your cpu is only a 2.8 for p4 that isnt great, it uses DDR ram they would probably use DDR2 and the HDD is a slower one than they would have used for the last few years. Your PSU is borderline to run the system as well.

But i dont think you are reading the benchmarks correctly a 128mb 6600GT will play doom3 fine but not at high settings medium settings are 6600GT territory.

Ithandir

Ithandir

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
well, about the PSU yes i believe its not good enough i need a better one. 6600GT is better than 6800 because 6600 GT is newer. 6800 GT is even better but its not about that... i just bought a PNY 6800GS 8x AGP card well see how it goes and im gonna buy a new PSU. my 6600GT burned out after a year and 2 months sadly :whistling: guarantee from leadtek is a year only - they guessed it right :S. to me it seems like a 2.8Ghz P4 aint exactly SLOW no? my about the heat - the GPU seems to stay at 50C practically not raising (maybe 60 i didnt look too often) but it didnt seem to overheat a lot. on the other hand, my CPU keeps arriving at 60C on heavy graphical games and 50C is both system zones temperature. at there 3 temperatures my monitoring tool says PC overheats (threshhold on CPU is 60C on system zones is 50C). maybe that means something? with 6600GT in practically no game could i do AA or AF because it didnt move or barely got 1.5 frames per second - what i noticed was it wasnt that the FPS was really low more often it was that the game wasnt smooth - a lot of jumps - has to do with the CPU maybe? odoes it mean anything that my CPU is 2.8E version? btw - does anyone know if its possible to fix a video card? or at least diagnose the exact problem? cuz my 6600 GT simply stopped producing video signal (seems like he is dead) and i would like to check it - do PC labs or places like that fix Video cards?

Edited by Ithandir, 06 June 2006 - 03:53 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
There are a hnadful of places that could run the proper diagnostics but its cheaper to get a new gfx card. 60C on the CPU is a bit much, for a P4 2.8Ghz isnt ridiculously slow but they tend not to be as good below the magic 3Ghz barrier. A lack of power can cause damage to a card and reduce performance.

A 6800 is above a 6600GT 6600s of any vareity suck and GTs bit the big one because they were heavily overpriced even now they are still overpriced. A 6600 has a 128bit memory interface a 6800 has 256 big diff 6800s even the vanilla versions usually have more pipelines depends on the version you get slow 6800s but there is only a couple really low clocked ones that are worse than a 6600GT, 6600GTs are pants. You shouldnt be running AA or AF on one unless its an old game none of the newer games are going to run with anything above medium to high settings at a normal resolution.

Your CPU temps you want idle to be between 30 and 40 and load to be 40-50 60s is the upper limit where i would take action shere i would clean the system and remove the HSF and reapply new compound(better compound if you can use AS5), if still no go replace the HSF with something better.

Power wise you should be fine if the one you have is a good quality true power, if its isnt true power and is generic its probably not giving enough juice.