Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Shortcuts without a shell?

• Please log in to reply

IO-error

IO-error

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Hi there.

Since I'm the ultimate performance hunter on this planet I don't use a shell anymore.
But I hate it to first use CTRL+ALT+DEL to bring up the Run Dialog after 2 more clicks.

So I was hoping, since I have no use for the Windows-key anymore, that that key can be assigned the function to show me the Run Dialog.

Is that possible through either the registry?
I know it's possible somehow, even without shell, CTRL+ALT+DEL is a shortcut too, right!?

Hehe, I got a lot more questions, but they all regard the same subject, so if I get help on this thingy, I'm sure I'll make my way through the other questions.

Thanks in advance man!

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the run dialogue is part of explorer, so if you run without explorer as the shell, you cannot access it

Likewise, the NEW TASK box is part of task manager, and cannot be run without task manager

IO-error

IO-error

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Thank you for that information. I didn't know it wasn't the same as in Taskmgr. I did some research and this is what I learned. Thank you for pointing me.

There is an application window in svchost loaded.
It's when shortcuts can't find it's source.
Then you can use Browse. That browse button is initialized by a hidden Run Dialog. It's actually not hidden, but it's the original Run Dialog being morphed by the svchost.
It then shows the browsing window.

So if svchost can summon it, then the Run Dialog is possible to be summoned.

A keyboard key can be asigned to a shortcut of a batchfile. And batchfiles can influence svchost while it's running. (part of windows) So the batchfile COULD, in theory, summon the Run Dialog. Because the Run Dialog isn't changed by svchost anymore (because it was summoned without the redesigning parameters) it shows a normal looking Run Dialog.
And so works in the same way.

So, thank you for your information.
Now my new question is, can a shortcut be made by editing the registry?
If yes, then I could make that batchfile that gives signals to svchost.

Thank you for your time. I appreciate it.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I have no idea what you are talking about. Of course, this is not the first time that I haven't understood what a visitor was asking for---it's not even the first time today.

But, uh, what? Maybe if you pointed to what you are reading?

In the meantime, something that may work in its place is a little mini-shell called GO

http://www.shellcity.net/go/go.htm

IO-error

IO-error

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
I'll give that a try. If it won't help I need some modifications to do. It's that important to me to devote my studies to it.

That text was from a book. I took a few old-skool books from the shelve. It's 2 years old and WinXP hasn't changed a bit.

Thnx for showing me that GO-shell, it sounds just the thing for me, for what I read on the homepage. And it's just the thing for me.

Edited by IO-error, 02 June 2006 - 07:28 PM.

IO-error

IO-error

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
That GO-shell still needs Explorer to run. Which means it will eat more RAM than normal.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
???

I am running it right now without explorer

IO-error

IO-error

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Weird, because when I booted Go, it also booted explorer.
It just leeched itself to where the start-button used to be.
But I'll be better off without a shell. Thank for your time.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
perhaps it needs explorer to start? I ran go, then closed explorer....

Maybe one of these will work for you--not no shell, but shell replacements that use very few resources

http://shellcity.net...rch=yes&topic=A

IO-error

IO-error

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Yes, thank you, I found Run!. And I am testing it on school now.
K, this thread is done, lockit :whistling: