Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB 2.0 Install Problem

• Please log in to reply

M a f i a

M a f i a

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
hi geeks. i bought a usb 2.0 pci card and installed it into my pc with the drivers installed and installation successful. but when i add a usb 2.0 device such as my flash drive i get a yellow ballon pop up saying that this device can perform faster with usb 2.0. do i have to enable high speed somewhere as its only functioning as usb 1. any suggestions?

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
You could run Everest home and find out if it is indeed usb2. Download it at http://www.majorgeek...tion_d4181.html

M a f i a

M a f i a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
iv downloaded the program and installed it.

Heres a log:

-----deleted as it is too long-----

sorry for that

Edited by M a f i a, 04 June 2006 - 12:40 PM.

M a f i a

M a f i a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
does the card have to be powered

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01-M A F I A –[PCI USB2 Expansion Card Issue]
4th June 2006

Hello M a f i a – I think your – EVEREST Report – is too long for this Forum to handle & it appears to have been truncated/cutoff – I think you should generate a new report – save it as a – HMTL – and then attach it to your Post – See attachment – for Report Instructions & Attachment Instructions –

The report did not contain any – System Resource Information – Nor any USB Information – I think this was the part that was truncated -

In the meantime – I will research your Motherboard & Chipset USB Capabilities – I need to know
1- USB Card Manufacturer & Model Number that you installed –
2- How old is PC
3- Is this an Upgrade fro Win-9X
4-

Shut down the PC & remove Power Connector & try to remove & re-insert your USB Board – Sometimes – the initial connection is not correctly/fully engaged – And also you may try a different – Card Slot – The IRQ selection is controlled/determined by which slot is being used –

Jack123

Attachment - Everest Report & Attachment Instructions -

Attached File  02_Instructions_EVEREST_Report_Attatchment.doc   31KB   43 downloads

M a f i a

M a f i a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
iv done the html files as u stated and uploaded them as u can see.

the usb card info:
Manufacturer: Ali
Model number, Chipset "M5273"

My pc is around 5/6 years old
i have tried installing the card by taking it out and putting it back in and still no luck. i have also tried putting it in other pci slots that i have and still the same problem.

It is not an upgrade from win 9x. it was an upgrade from WinMe.

Attached Files

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
02-M A F I A –[PCI USB2 Expansion Card Issue]
5th June 2006

Thanks for the Reports – Your 1st Report was complete all the way thru – Multimedia Report – and was stopped/truncated part way thru the – Storage Report –

I do not know how much in detail of a Report that you generated – but what was posted – was maybe half [??] There were no – Devices Report – which was where most of my interest on this issue is centered –

I only asked for the 4 Reports – [for this issue] – That was good to edit & remove the 1st Report – I was going to suggest that after receiving the new Reports – so we did not have to wade our way thru that lengthy Post -
1- CPU Report
2- Motherboard Report
3- Sensor Report
4- Devices Report

i bought a usb 2.0 pci card and installed it into my pc with the drivers installed and installation successful. but when i add a usb 2.0 device such as my flash drive i get a yellow ballon pop up saying that this device can perform faster with usb 2.0. do i have to enable high speed somewhere as its only functioning as usb 1. any suggestions

As soon as you connect a USB Device to a USB Port – The Root Hub will detect the speed of the device by measuring/detecting which data line – [D+] or [D –] – has the 1.2 KW Pull up resistor – during the – Idle State – and then the rest of the – Handshake Operation – is completed – And if it is successful- then the communications will be set at – High Speed – Otherwise it will be only at Full Speed -

Now it can be your USB Card but Everest does show a USB 2.0 Root Hub & Host Controller but it could only be only – One Port – that is USB 2.0 [??]– How long have you had it - And why did you obtain it?

the usb card info:
Manufacturer: Ali
Model number, Chipset "M5273

Do you have a Brand Name and Model Number – The Chipset is good to know – but I need to research the entire Card –
1- How many USB Ports
2- How Internal – External
3- Any IEEE 1394 Ports

What about your Motherboard USB Ports –
1- How many USB Ports do you have –
2- Do they function
3- When did you update to Windows XP

Everest shows
1- Intel Chipset
2- only USB 1.1 Support [??] [But there may be a BIOS setting that may support 2.0 ??]
3- Have Universal Host Controllers

does the card have to be powered

What makes you ask this?? – Because – I do suspect your PC Power Supply as being a problem – That is why I requested the – Sensors Report – But the Dell Motherboard did not support any of the Voltage readings – Can you give me the Power Supply Model Number & Wattage rating and maybe the Dell Model number of PC. Also how may PCI Expansion Cards do you have connected to PC – doesn’t appear that Dell supports Everest on this item either [??] Dell does not like to share any – Proprietary Info – Mainly because Dell does not adhere to the PC Standards – So it is difficult to analyze a Dell PC – Offsite/remotely -

One thing that you could do – is to purchase a – USB 2.0 Self Powered 4-Port Hub Expansion – and plug into the PC USB Card & plug your device into the HUB Expansion & see if it detects the USB 2.0 Devices when the device is not powered by the PC USB Power Bus – which would verify that the Power Supply is the problem & verify that your card is USB 2.0 Compliant –

Thanks
Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 05 June 2006 - 08:26 PM.

M a f i a

M a f i a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
here is where is got the card from: http://ledshoppe.com.../com/CA4010.htm
my mate told me about this site which he has bought other items off without any problems

im posting more reports but i dont know why the reports were truncated.

i bought the card to upgrade from usb 1.1 as my pc only has 2 usb 1.1 ports which was already with the computer when i bought it. i have the card for about a week

i have tried other drivers but i still get the problem. i have downloaded a dell bios update but i have not installed it yet and i only will when u suggest that i do.

Attached Files

OSS

OSS

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have that same problem when i tried to plug on a high speed device in my intel motherboard...well to overcome this i think as u have installed A USB PCI card try going in MY COMPUTER properties ->Device manager->USB ports...right click on it and UNINSTALL IT and then restart...try this as it may help u

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
03-M A F I A –[PCI USB2 Expansion Card Issue]
7th June 2006

im posting more reports but i dont know why the reports were truncated.

Sorry – you misunderstood part of my last post –

I was referring to your – Initial Everest Report – that you edited & deleted out – I was giving you the detailed difference between the – initial Report & the 4 that I requested – The 4 requested Reports were fine – It is Dell – that has the problem with Everest Reports – Dell uses a different Power Connection Scheme – so not all of the details are captured –

And I was pointing out the difference between – the information – received in Initial Report - & the information received – on the – Requested Report – and giving you the basis of my – Analysis of you Problem –

There was – No Action – required from you – Sorry for confusing you -

i have tried other drivers but i still get the problem. i have downloaded a dell bios update but i have not installed it yet and i only will when u suggest that i do.

No need to install the – New Dell BIOS Update – at this time – It may cause more problems – I will explain later – but for now – Do Not Install -

i bought the card to upgrade from usb 1.1 as my pc only has 2 usb 1.1 ports which was already with the computer when i bought it. i have the card for about a week

That is what I gathered from the Reports – I just wanted you to verify – my analysis – Your Motherboard does not support USB 2.0 – and the easiest cure would be to obtain/purchase a – USB 2.0 Expansion Card – just as you did – The Card should be independent of the Motherboard – However the Motherboard & Power Layout may have a Voltage Regulation Problem that would affect the Expansion Card Performance – Since it is directly powered thru the Motherboard PCI Bus – The Hub would effectively make the PCI Card immune to the Voltage Variations during the critical time of connecting the USB Device -

This is why I suggested using a self powered USB 2.0 Expansion HUB – This may mask out the Power Variations during the Enumeration Process -

The suggestion from – OSS – has merit -

I have that same problem when i tried to plug on a high speed device in my intel motherboard...well to overcome this i think as u have installed A USB PCI card try going in MY COMPUTER properties ->Device manager->USB ports...right click on it and UNINSTALL IT and then restart...try this as it may help u

That is a good suggestion – Sometimes PnP gets botched during the Installation Process – When you do an Installation Process – Usually you are requested to – Exit All Programs – that are running. Most people ignore this statement. But if you have an Antivirus Program running during the Installation Process & It just happens to scan the USB Driver while it is being installed – The – installed driver – may be corrupted.

Device Manager shows/indicates that the Device is working – but PnP did not actually complete the installation. And the device will not work. In this case the device installed is actually – USB 2.0 Host Controller – which the indication that it is not functioning – Is the description of your Issue – And since the USB 1.1 Controllers remain active & runs the device – This is the same scenario as you have –

So yes go ahead & try – Uninstalling via Device Manager - & then Restart PC – PnP should find – New Hardware – and reinstall your USB 2.0 Host Controller – Post back the results – And if you still have the problem – We should investigate if you are installing the correct – Windows XP USB 2.0 Driver – and not the old – Windows ME USB 2.0 Driver – that might still be left over since your update from Windows ME – [Although I am not sure if ME supported USB 2.0] – Maybe some OS Tech might verify -

Thanks OSS – for the reminder – Get Back to Basics –

Jack123

Advertisements

M a f i a

M a f i a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
hi. i have tried uninstalling the controller and the hubs from device manager then restarting it and after restart the computer found new hard hardware and started installing the drivers for it. it also found "OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller" which hasn't shown up before. anyway after the drivers were installed i restarted the computer and i tried a usb 2 device such as my hard drisk drive and my flash drive. after this the yellow baloon still pops up saying that the device can perform faster and by clicking on the balloon high spped ports will be shown in bold and none of them are. the usb port still perform as usb 1.1. darn.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
04-M A F I A –[PCI USB2 Expansion Card Issue]
9th June 2006

i tried a usb 2 device such as my hard drisk drive and my flash drive. after this the yellow baloon still pops up saying that the device can perform faster and by clicking on the balloon high spped ports will be shown in bold and none of them are. the usb port still perform as usb 1.1

(1)- Lets verify the USB Ports that you are using – The USB Ports on the New USB 2.0 PCI Card – and not your old Motherboard USB 1.1 Ports -

(2)- Do you have any USB 1.1 Devices connected to new USB 2.0 Card - I do not think that the Card can communicate thru the PCI Bus configured as USB 2.0 & USB 1.1 – So you should connect all USB 1.1 devices to your Motherboard USB Ports -

and after restart the computer found new hard hardware and started installing the drivers for it. it also found "OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller" which hasn't shown up before

Do you have IEEE 1394 Ports - The New Card probably supports IEEE 1394 Host Controller Chip – that can communicate via PCI Bus – but does not physically have the Ports -

Jack123

M a f i a

M a f i a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
i am using the usb ports on the card and i am only using one device that is an the card at the moment. there are no other devices connected to the usb 2.0 card.

i am not using any usb 1.1 devices on the usb 2.0 card

i do have IEEE 1394 ( i think) as i also have a firewire card

Edited by M a f i a, 09 June 2006 - 04:26 PM.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
05-M A F I A –[PCI USB2 Expansion Card Issue]
10th June 2006

Insert your USB 2.0 Device then Open Device Manager – [Depending if the Proper Drivers are installed] - How much of this can be observed] –

Open [DEVICE MANAGER] – And examine Driver Details for Ali USB Enhanced Controller – and attach info

(1) – Right Click MY COMPUTER
(2) – On [Drop Down Menu ] > Open PROPERTIES Page
(3) – Click General Tab – [Note Operating System & Service Pack Installed & CPU Info]
(4) – Click HARDWARE TAB
(5) – Click on DEVICE MANAGER Tab
(6) – Left Click View on Tool Bar – Left Click Devices by Type on Drop Down Tab
(7) – Scroll down To Bottom to USB Devices
(8) – You should see several Universal Serial Bus Controller Entries
(9) – Expand all of them by Left Clicking the [+] Box
(10)– Double Left Click Ali PCI to USB Enhanced Controller to open Properties Page
(11)- Click Driver Tab and then Click Driver Details

Print Screen – Paste – Crop – Save as jpeg File & Attach to Post per steps –

(01)- Take Screen Shot – Press [ALT KEY] + [Print Scrn] Key – will place on Clipboard
(02)- Paste into a Photo Program – Crop Photo – Name as – Ali_USB_EHCI – and Save as jpeg File – and Attach to Post – [See Attachment Instructions at end]

Continue with Device Manager -

(12)- Double Left Click USB 2 Root Hub to open Properties Page
(13)- Click Driver Tab and then Click Drivers Detail

(01)- Take Screen Shot – Press [ALT KEY] + [Print Scrn] Key – will place on Clipboard
(02)- Paste into a Photo Program – Crop Photo – Name as – Ali_USB 2 Root Hub – and Save as jpeg File – and Attach to Post – [See Attachment Instructions at end]

These 2 attachments/photos – should show if proper USB drivers are installed –

Now examine the rest of the USB Devices – See if any Yellow Warnings are shown –

Now continue – To learn about Device Manager -

Double Left Click all of the USB Root Hubs to Open Properties Page – Click on Power Tab and see which one has the USB Device – Post back Info –

You can try connecting USB Devices to other USB Ports & observe Device Manager for the connection process –

NOTE – You should observe a – USB Power Management Icon – on Lower Right Task Bar – and you should Click on it before – Disconnecting a USB Drive or Storage Device –

The Device Manager Screen – Should Refresh itself – each time you add or remove a USB Device – This will be seen as a – Blink – [Screen Disappears & Re-appears instantly ]

Now Lets search your PC for the Ali USB 2.0 Drivers – *ali*.sys –

(1) – Click [Start]
(2) – Highlight [Search]
(3) – Open – [For files or folders]
(4) – Type – *ali*.sys – in the [search for files or folders named] Window
(5) – Set to Look in – [C Drive]
(6) – Check Advance Options Block
(7) – Check – [Search Sub Folders] – Option Block
(8) – Click – [Search Now] Tab to begin Search

(02)- Paste into a Photo Program – Crop Photo – Name as – Ali_USB_EHCI – and Save as jpeg File – and Attach to Post

[How to Add Attachment to Post]

1- Click On [Add a Reply]
2- Scroll down to bottom of [Reply Window] to [File Attachments]
3- Click [Browse] and then locate the [saved jpeg files] – That you saved on your PC
4- Click on file - it should now appear in [File Attachment] Window
5- Click on [Add Attachment] Button
6-Wait until it is added
7- Click [Add to Post] Button
8- Repeat Steps [3 thru 7] If you have other attachments to attach to Post – Otherwise skip & Go to step 9
9- Click [Add Reply] Button to send

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 10 June 2006 - 09:10 AM.

M a f i a

M a f i a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
i have been a bit busy lately so i could not reply over the past few days.
i have searched my pc for the ali drivers and i also included hidden floders and subfolders.

i get the same info in device manager when i switch to a different port and i get 200mA of power when i connect flash disk. i also tried plugging in my ipod into the ports and i get 500mA of power. i think the ipod uses more power as it also charges the battery.

Attached Thumbnails

• Ali_USB_EHCI.JPG
  • Ali_USB_2_Root_Hub.JPG
  • Ali_USB_driver_search.JPG