Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB 2.0 Install Problem

• Please log in to reply

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
06-M A F I A –[PCI USB2 Expansion Card Issue]
14th June 2006

i have been a bit busy lately so i could not reply over the past few days.

That’s OK – It was a fair size task – I gave you + others that are following –

i get the same info in device manager when i switch to a different port and i get 200mA of power when i connect flash disk. i also tried plugging in my ipod into the ports and i get 500mA of power. i think the ipod uses more power as it also charges the battery.

Ok – that is correct – However these 2 devices are considered – High Power Devices – since they draw more than 100 milliamps – So basically – this is the reason why certain USB Ports – [Usually the Front Ports] – do not always work – They usually work only with Low Power Devices –

You are correct with the info on the – iPod – Now 500 milliamps is the Maximum USB Power consumption level - Now again this device may only function in the two rear USB Ports – that are – Directly Soldered Connected to the Motherboard – And it is recommended – that the iPod be connected to the USB Port via of – USB 2.0 Self Powered Expansion HUB – that is connected to a USB 2.0 Port – This way the Device will only draw 2milliamps from the PC USB Power Bus – and the 500 milliamps from the Self Powered HUB Power Adapter – which will take the strain off the PC Power Supply -

This gets us back to my original observation/analysis of the problem – perhaps since this is an upgrade from WIN ME –

My pc is around 5/6 years old
i have tried installing the card by taking it out and putting it back in and still no luck. i have also tried putting it in other pci slots that i have and still the same problem.

It is not an upgrade from win 9x. it was an upgrade from WinMe.

I believe that your Power Supply is marginal for your System – and is not able to supply adequate Power to the PCI Bus – for your Ali USB 2.0 Card – and when you insert a USB 2.0 device – It appears to be installed as a USB 2.0 USB Host Controller – but is not able to perform as a USB 2.0 Device – because of the – PCI Power Bus Deficiency – [??]

It is – My opinion – that you need to run your USB 2.0 Devices – thru a USB 2.0 Self Powered HUB – connected to the ALi USB 2.0 Ports – to isolate the USB Device Power – from the PCI Power Bus - It is not bad enough to cause a – Power Reset – but the it cannot effectively handle the Inrush Current & Voltage drops –

Belkin F5U224 HUB- http://www.usb-2-0.c...kin-f5u224.html

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 13 June 2006 - 10:23 PM.

Advertisements

M a f i a

M a f i a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
ill buy the self powered hub tommorow and see what happens. ill post back results