Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wipe out hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Heather 06

Heather 06

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ok so I am new here... but I am tring to help my friend out... she has windows 2000 office.. dont ask me why. LOL

all of her windows components are non responcive, (add/remove - control panel) the works.. so I went in and tried to just upload a newer version of microsoft to see if it would just update the issue. No go! then in safe mode - nothing is responding.. what I would like to do is wipe out the hard drive then add memory and then upload a newer version to her computer....

does anyone know the steps to wipe out the hard drive in safe mode with prompts????

HELLLLLPPP! Normally I can fix a friends comp quick.. this one is pretty messed up..

Thanks for your time

Heather

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i've got a question before we get to far into this...by 2000 office...do you mean she has windows 2000 proffessional as her operating system? or office 2000 as her office program?

I went in and tried to just upload a newer version of microsoft to see if it would just update the issue.

same questions here...are you talking about office....or are you talking about the actual windows operating system? how did you try to do this? and with what kind of media did you try to do this (your cd..her cd?)

what I would like to do is wipe out the hard drive then add memory and then upload a newer version to her computer....

question here....is has she bought a newer versioin of whatever you're talking about? (office or windows?) or are you trying to use your cd from your computer?

Heather 06

Heather 06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Yes I am sorry, she had windows office 2000 on her system. She bought the comp form a friend a long time ago, there are no restore discs and or the original windows office 2000 discs. She bought windows xp pro and that is what we tried to upload...

wow that was quick thanks

XOXOXO
Heather

Heather 06

Heather 06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
actaully why it shots down it say windows office 2000, but I gues that could mean its pro

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
....ok...so you're still getting a few things confused here (one of them being me)....there is a suite of programs from microsoft listed as "microsoft office" they are used to creat documents...like word documents and spreadsheets....there is a difference between microsoft office...and WINDOWS.....does she have windows 2000 on her computer...and it's not working...so she bought a copy of xp and you guys want to start over from scratch and install that?

Heather 06

Heather 06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Yes to all of the above and we need to start over from scratch becuase the system after uploading the new disc is still no responcive.... I am thinking that there is to much on the system and maybe memory is low and or there is a virus. Either way I cannot even open the c drive to look at anything along with any programs.. sorry if I am confusing .. LOL

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok....one more question (maybe more)...on the xp disk does it say "xp home" or "xp proffessional"....is it the FULL version or does it say "upgrade"

Heather 06

Heather 06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
does she have windows 2000 on her computer...and it's not working...so she bought a copy of xp and you guys want to start over from scratch and install that

(we did this) it didnt work)

YEP....

Heather 06

Heather 06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
it is the pro and it is the full cd - when we uploaded it it didnt prompt to replace anything, we just did the full install.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.michaelst...nxpinstall.html. .
http://www.winsupers...xp_sg_clean.asp

Two Great tutorials for a clean install of XP complete with screenshots

Credit for Links ~ Johanna and Crash Override

i prefer the second one...but they are both good

Advertisements

Heather 06

Heather 06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Your amazing, I will try this and get back with you later and tell you how it went... cross your fingers! Thanks agin

Heather
XO

Heather 06

Heather 06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
so my question to you it,, when I uploaded xp last night, it didnt open the cd on its own, now the question is, when I reboot as the second link you gave me said... do I reboot in safe mode with prompts? to do all the stuff it is saying to do... and will this wipe out all old stuff on the computer?

XOXO

Heather 06

Heather 06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Never mind and thank you for your time.. I came here for help and you helped me yet another one of your members wrote me an email telling me how ditzy I was... well I am not ditzy, but I am willing to learn new things and if this is the way I will be treated for being an upstanding person and asking for help to help a friend... thanks anyways.

Have a great day and thanks for your help.

Its to bad some people are just to smart to be nice to people who are willing to learn!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Heather, sorry about the joke, it was in poor taste

I want you to take a look here and see if it makes sense

http://www.geekstogo...howtopic=101068

The idea here is to completely wipe out your drive and then start from scratch

Can you tell us what kind of computer this is? Model number and maker?

Heather 06

Heather 06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I do appreciate your apology, and believe me... I am a web designer and people always ask me for help and well this time I am in a little to deep. Regardless... I am here so I checked out the link you provided and I will give that a try.

Her system is a mix between compaq hard drive and dell monitor. Its really a messed up system... that was why I felt it would be better to re format/erase the hard drive and add memory and start over.

I will try the steps offered and if it works I will be by tonight to thank you, if not I may have questions or I will tell her to take the computer and lets enjoy thowing it out of the window. LOL

Thanks for your apology, I understand when everyone want something and it is easy to get a bit peppy, maybe just keep it on the down low next time.. LOL - sorry about the comment I made about your [bleep], most geeks I know have huge ones, LOL

Heather