Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wipe out hard drive

• Please log in to reply

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Another good alternative is to use

Darik's Boot and Nuke

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

You can download this to a floppy, put it in your drive and wipe out the drive, then install on a completely fresh drive. This is normally not required unless you are wiping a drive before you sell a computer or junk it.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I'm just being stupid today, every thing seems very funny to me, and looking back on things, not a whole lot of it was.

I was cleaning a system earlier today that had the weirdest virus that kept morphing back and forth....the process would start, create a second process, then the first process would stop, then the second process woudl start a third process....it was so weird I just started laughing my head off at my desk and everyone thought I was going nuts...

after that, i've been making stupid comments left and right. Some funny, some stupid, some insulting...sometimes, I need to be called on it. And set straight.....

Heather 06

Heather 06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I hear ya about the virus mania.. I think I have it with her computer... No worries, you are cool...

I went to the Darik's Boot and Nuke link you gave me and I came to this link, do I click on north america link to down load, LOL? (so that sounds ditzy) but is that the one I download, he he.

BTW, this is what is worse, my real name is Heaven and I never use my real name casue people make fun of me, he he and you did it anyways.. LOL check it out myspace.com/heavenburns

LOL

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
doesn't matter where you get it from....sourceforge uses a distributed server model to store files all over the world so that no one server is overloaded.

The beauty of boot nuke is you don't have to work through a bunch of command, just boot and go (this assumes the floppy is the primary boot device--or CD is you got the cd version)

It overwrites everything.

We primarily use it for secure deletion...for example, when we were decommishing some government computers, we used a program similar to this to wipe the harddrive several times so that it would be practically impossible to recover anything...then they gave the old computers to a charitable organization.

The Windows method I highlighted above would be adequate for most purposes

If you do use boot nuke, you only need to let it make one pass.

Then, when you put in the Windows XP Disk, the install process will begin and it is pretty much ENTER< ENTER< ENTER, click click click from there.

Heather 06

Heather 06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
grrrr - I saved it directly to disc and when I went to her computer nothing happened, it told me to locate the file... should I be re booting or something... sorry this suks

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
which one did you grab, the Floppy version or CDR/CDRW version

Also, when you boot the computer, when you see the compaq screen, you should see something like press ?? to enter setup

Usually, it is f1, f2 or DEL

Heather 06

Heather 06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I did the cd one, dont have a floppy :-( and when I see the compaq on the screen it says key board error... OH man this is the worst.. I did the f1, f2 and delete tried it all... I feel bad I cant do anything,,, but dont know what to do from here

I do appreciate your help

H

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Boy this keeps gettting more and more complicated...it must be frustrating

The keyboard error....is this a laptop or desktop. Keyboard errors often result of something stuck in the keys....does it say anythign about press f1 to continue (or something like that)

the file you downloaded is an ISO image...You don't actually copy them to a cd, because they are not meant to be used as files--instead, they are DISK IMAGES.

You have to copy them a special way

I;'m going to hope you are presently using an XP machine

If you do not know how to burn an ISO image (don't feel bad, most people do not), then download the following program to another Windows XP machine, install it. It is the easiest way to burn an ISO image to a CD

make certain you download the proper installation for your version of windows.

Open MY COMPUTER, choose HELP > ABOUT. Note the service pack and get the appropriate version of the iso burner power toy

http://isorecorder.a...isorecorder.htm

After installation, reboot, then right click the dban-1.0.6...iso file you downloaded and choose COPY IMAGE TO CD.

Then reboot your broken PC with that CD in the CD-ROM drive.

The program should start automatically

I am very curious about the keyboard error though--is that new?

Heather 06

Heather 06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I am on windows xp home edition with xp pro installed as well. The key board error was not there last night, but this morning it made a beeping sound and then aI had to hit enter to get it to stop and then it just stayed on the compaq screen from there on out.. I changed out the keyboard just a bit ago and I dont have to hit enter but the keyboard error is still there...

I sure am glad not everyone knows how the save those things to disc, I was feeling stupid, LOL

Tring new thing now XOXO

Heather 06

Heather 06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
oh ya and hers is a desk top

Advertisements

Heather 06

Heather 06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
OMG it is working, you are so awesome and patient... thank you.... I will give you a full report in the morning of how it went..

XOXOXO
H

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
cool...I will be out most of the day (saturday is soccer day), btu will return this evening

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
heaven (or heather) sorry that i kind of dropped out on you there...didn't expect there to be any issues (though there usually are)...i kind of drop of of the face of the world friday at 5 so...sorry for not comming back in.....but you're in the most capable hands on the planet now as gerry must be some form of computer demi-god or something...

gerry thanks for picking this one up....i'll check in..and as usuall i'll be back on on monday

Heather 06

Heather 06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
No worries... we had a rough start, but as you say I am really great hands.... I fixed the problem last night, well 4am this morning.. I learned something new and it only took me 17 hours.. LOL... Very happy though and thank you both for all your help and support... your the best!!

Heaven

PS: thanks for not making fun of my name, LOL

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
so are we rebuilt yet with the new Windows XP?