Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I Can't Play DVDs and Certain Video Files

• Please log in to reply

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Hey all at Geeks To Go,
I seem to be posting here a lot lately but I've got yet another problem... My new laptop won't play DVDs. Plop the DVD in, Auto Play pops up asking me which application I'd like to use to play the DVD, select a program and the DVD begins playing without any audio (so it's just video playing).

I think this problem may be related to Nero, which came preinstalled on my laptop. Whenever I open a DVD using Nero ShowTime, a message appears telling me that Dolby Digital Decoding is no longer available and that I should "Upgrade now!".

A simiar thing happens when I try to open AVI files, a message pops up telling me that "MPEG-4 Demo has expired". As far as I'm aware, my Nero software isn't a demo. The same thing's happening on my desktop computer, which I've played loads of DVDs before on. I think it could be because Nero's released a new version of Nero Suite which they want me to upgrade to... I'm not sure.

What do you guys think? Oh, and can somebody help me fix this because my digital camera records videos in AVI format and I can't open any of them :whistling: .

(Look at that man's face in the screenshot attatched, I was laughing for ages a that.. "Wow! Nero is great- Upgrade now!" Talk about cheesy.)

Mikey

Edited by o2mcgovem, 02 June 2006 - 07:58 PM.

Advertisements

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Btw, the "Buy Now" button links to a page about Nero 7 Premium. (I've got Nero 6, and I'm happy with it too.)

(I would post the link, but I think it's got my product serial number in it).

Edited by o2mcgovem, 02 June 2006 - 08:03 PM.