Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Celeron, Celeron M, vs Pentium 4

• Please log in to reply

nschube

nschube

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Can anyone tell me the general difference between the following processors, or if there is much of a difference - Celeron, Celeron M, Pentium 4?

In particular, can anyone tell me rather large graphics (e.g., ArcView, ArcGIS software) will run better on one verses another?

Thanks.

Nora

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I wouldn't even consider the Celeron. Buy a P4......usually the p4 has more cache, more speed etc. Plus the p4 has a built in safety feature which will slow it down if it starts to overheat.

nschube

nschube

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Macten -

How does a Pent M compare to a Pent 4?

Nora

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
the celeron m is for mobile computing. I would think that a P4 would be more desirable than a celeron or celeron m. Perhaps someone else will comment on this.

bidule

bidule

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi there!

Definitely forget about celeron that is really well under the capacities of a p4.

But beware, as P4 have now many different models, with various cache size and speed.
The P4EE seems to be a good CPU, but the older P4 models are not so efficient.
But depending on what you intend to do with your comp, a celeron could be enough ( if u just use Word and IE, it should be ok :tazz: )

I'm looking for a computer too, and I'd like an Athlon64 3000+ or 3200+ (A lot more efficient with 3D video games than P4, but again it depends on your use of your comp), and a motherboard with an Nforce4 based chipset with pci-express graphic card slot.
This seems to me as the best Quality/Price choice for a MB and a CPU today.

It's only my opinion...

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Wait a minute...to be accurate, you must ask WHICH CELERON?

Intel's Celeron D series is not your mother's budget CPU. The Celeron D is a fabricated with a 90nm tech process, just like the P4.

It has the Prescott core, features 256KB L2 cache and SSE2 support. Intel also transferred it to the 533MHz front-side bus.

All this means a much higher performance, since the 90nm tech process also allows for raising the frequency. The new celeron d I think maxes out at over 3ghtz (have to check).

moonofasa

moonofasa

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hey im just gonna buy a computer but it says it comes with a Celeron Processor 2.66 GHz but for most games it says you need a pentium 3 or better will it make any difference if you have a Celeron or will it stop you from playing the games :tazz: thanx.

Technogeek8

Technogeek8

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
You bet

The Celeron processers can't keep up with most modern games.You'll be able to play some decent stuff like cal of duty, but anything like Far Cry, or Half Life 2, or Doom 3...FORGET ABOUT IT. It would never handle it. If your looking into gaming, you should really be more concerned about the graphics card over the processor. Any processor over 2 ghz is fine for all games. Games haven't made it that far as far as being processor intensive. You should think about a 128 or 256 mb card. Most modern comps rely on the 6600 pci express card or the fx5200 card. Since it's a celeron, I imagine if it actually has a graphics card, its using the fx5200 or the ATI eqivalient. The problem is that most celerons are sold with built in graphics which you'll get no gaming from. My recomendation, if your set on using a P4 or Celeron, get the P4. Along with the P4, get the fx5200. It's not the best, but it will handle some of the future games coming. If you have the extra money, you could look into a Nvivia 5900 or ATI Equiv. It's a 256 mb card and will really handle the newer games nice. I guess I can't convince you to look towards a AMD Sempron or a AMD 64. Amd is more reliable and a more stable processor. If you ever decide to built your own comp and stop relying on overpriced computer companies like dell or HP, look into these specs:

2.8 ghz p4 800 mhz FSB
512 mb DDR 400 mhz
Nvidia PCI Xpress 6600
120 gb hd

Once AMD comes out with PCI express and DDR2, their gonna sore. I can't wait. Little people relize how far AMD is in comparison to Pentium. AMD is amazing with its 64 bit processors and theer so much more stable. Look for AMD in the near future of all gaming machines.

David

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
as noted, the celeron D is yesterdays P4 (well, almost)...gaming on a budget.

Really, though, it depends on your budget. Determine your budget then move backwards from graphics card, cpu, motherboard--memory is fixed at 12mb as a bare minimum, but then decide if you want more, case with adequate power supply, then drives.

This often means you end up with a smaller harddrive then you want, but this is the easiest thing to upgrade and drive prices are always falling

Technogeek8

Technogeek8

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Did I forget to tell you that I built my friends comp, the exact same specs for 800 dollars. It's a killer gaming machine. If you looked online for a comp simular to that, you'll looking to spend about 1500. So building your own pc is really the way to go. It's cheaper and you can build it faster for less money. If you want to build your own comp or interested in prices for parts just as a little research, go to www.pricewatch.com . Pricewatch is made up of a bunch of individual dealers, but prices are killer. Just look a little more into it before you buy. You want to spend a little more because it'll last and you'll be ablel to get your money's worth. Buying a cheaper comp instead of spending a few hundred bucks more and getting something a little better could mean all the difference. You might have to upgrade to play those upcoming video games in 2 years in comparison to 3. Let's face it, gaming is getting so advanced that everyone has to upgrade sometime. But if you spend a little more, you get a little more. K. Check it out.

David

Technogeek8

Technogeek8

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
I'll have to do some more reseach on the Celeron D. I haven't read a lot about it. Anyway, if your on a budget, it sounds managable. My question is how stable is the celeron D? The P4 is really unstable in comparison to the AMD sempron or AMD 64. I'll have to read more about it

David

Tom's Hardware Guide, Here I Come :-)