Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Booting problems - RESOLVED

• Please log in to reply

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Recently I repaired a friends computer. I replaced the HD because it was fried! Today, a week and a half later she brought it back to me because she said that her son said "it don't work". When I got it home I hooked it up and the first thing that happened was that I got error code beeps that were one long beep followed by two short beeps. This was followed by a short pause and then two more short beeps. Realizing that it was most likely the video card I switched the current AGP card with one that I had on hand. The computer didn't give any error codes but when it started to boot the screen read "boot failure:system halted". I realize that normally this indicates that there is a problem with the hard drive but the HD is only 1 1/2 weeks old. Anybody ever experience this before or anything like it? Also, please note that I found a cd in the drive. It is for Pixela Image Mixer Ver 1.0. Anybody familiar with this software and could this be part of the problem? :whistling:

Advertisements

daniel_c

daniel_c

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
"boot failure:system halted" the cd could be part of the problem the becuas cd drive is probly set to firt boot not the harddrive. and scince the cd isnt bootable thats probly y you got the error message.

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Even after I removed the disc I still have the same problem?! Any ideas? :whistling:

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
OK, something new. I tried to boot with the OS in the rom drive to see if it would boot from the CD. It paused for a short time then went back to boot failure again. I went into the BIOS only to find that the HD is not installed. Is the HD dead? If so, how could somebody kill a HD so fast? How would this happen? :whistling:

Edited by dnrflorence, 02 June 2006 - 09:51 PM.

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Hey all! I need some help here. I have the computer where it is booting now. Only problem is when I boot from a cold start I get the boot failure error. If I immediately hit the reset button then it boots up as normal with no problems. What could cause this? Is something connected wrong or does it mean something serious. Can anybody help?

Edited by dnrflorence, 08 June 2006 - 08:27 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi dnrflorence...

My first thought is cableing...particularly the IDE ribbon. Make sure all the connections to the motherboard and the HDD are securely seated.

wannabe1

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I checked all of the cables and they all seem to have a good connection. I have been checking online for a manual to no avail. Any other suggestions?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi. Unfortunately drive cables rarely look damaged even when they are.
I assume this is an IDE drive, as opposed to SATA, right? Let me know if I'm wrong about this. If it is IDE, then you should have 2 IDE ribbon cables - 1 for the hard disk & one for the CDROM/DVD drive(s).

Disconnect the hard disk cable at both ends, then re-install it. Pay attention to the exact orientation of the cable before removing it so you can re-fit it the right way round. (i.e make a note of which end of the IDE port is aligned with the striped edge of the cable). Make sure when re-fitting that the cable connector is evenly inserted (press down firmly along the top of the connector to ensure it is fully inserted at both ends). Repeat this whole procedure for the connector on the opposite end of the cable.
Check the molex (power) connector is fully inserted into the drive.

If the bios still doesn't detect the drive after this, then swap the hard disk cable with the optical drive cable, again make sure you pay attention to which connector goes to the motherboard & which one goes to the drive, as well as the orientation of each.

Let me know if this makes any difference

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I appreciate the help so far but unfortunately nothing has worked! It is an IDE HD. Brand new in fact. I did exactly as you said and there was no change. I completely change out the cable with a new one. Still no change. I pulled the power switch/LED connectors off to blow the dust off of them. When I hooked them back up I now get nothing! I mean dead. It doesn't even try to boot! I made notes as to the orientation of the connectors and put them back just as I had removed them. I get a light on the motherboard when the powersupply is turned on but absolutely no attempt to boot when the power button is pressed. I have looked all over the internet for a digital manual to no avail. Did I hook something back up incorrectly or did the MB just go ahead give up? How would I know if the MB is dead. I do not know what kind of motherboard it is but the number on it is E210882. I am in desperate need of help! :whistling: Does anybody have any suggestions?

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
OK, I got it to power up again. I guess I switched the power and the power LED wires. :whistling: I am still getting the system halted error from a cold start. I switched out the PS with a comperable but not stronger one but no change. Any ideas?

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, power the system up & go into the bios. This is usually done by pressing the DEL key a few times as soon as the monitor LED turns from amber to green. It may be a different key on your system, especially of this is a big brand name system such as Dell, HP or compaq for example, so let me know if you have trouble accessing it.

Go to the first page of the bios setup & look at what is listed under the settings : primary IDE master, primary IDE slave, etc. If you see an 'AUTO-DETECT DRIVES' function, then run it.

Let me know exactly what is listed for each of the 4 entries.

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Are you ready for this. This is strange. On the main page of the bios setup there is nothing about the drives. Yep, that's right. All that is listed is BIOS version, Processor type, processor speed, system bus speed, Cache RAM, Total memory, RIMM 1, RIMM 2, etc., language, System time, system date. That's all. What next?

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Never mind dude! I think I got it! I did find the HD IDE setup in the Advanced section. It showed that the HD was the primary slave. After closer examination I found that one of the jumper pins was bent under the jumper. I tried to straighten it out and reset the jumper. No go on that! I then opted to move the jumper to cable select and then bam...booted up from the POST boot like a charm! What do you think? It should be alright to leave it on cable select, right?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Cable Select will be fine as your machine will obviously make use of the feature...some won't. Glad you got the problem sorted out... :whistling:

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Thanks for all of your help. Next question, how do I pin this thread as complete?