Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restricted sites in Firefox

• Please log in to reply

jamielaw

jamielaw

• PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
You know the red restricted icon you get in IE when you go on a website restricted by your HOSTS file. Does anybody know if you can get that icon in Firefox?

Cheers

JAmie

Advertisements

DLarson

DLarson

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Apparently there is a tool for that.

Read the discussion here
http://www.techzonez...ead.php?t=17651

jamielaw

jamielaw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
Cheers for that! :blink:

That tool is okay but i have 80000+ restricted sites in my HOSTS file and i am not planning on entering all them in one-by-one :whistling: Any ideas how you could get the policy to be based on the HOSTS file?

Cheers

Jamie

jamielaw

jamielaw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
Anybody know of a plugin? Just to make it clear i am aware the HOSTS file blocks websites even if i use Firefox but it just displays the usual (Page Not Found) message when a restricted website is opened. So just basically what i want is a message or an icon something similar to IE where the red icon in bottom left hand corner of the screen appears saying the website is restricted

Cheers

Jamie

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
See if TargetAlert is what you're looking for.

Please visit http://www.bolinfest.com/targetalert/ for TargetAlert 0.8.9.7. It works with Firefox 1.5 and does not convert the cursor to a TargetAlert icon as it did before (a number of users found this annoying -- it will be an option in TargetAlert 0.9).

Ron

jamielaw

jamielaw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
I appreciate the response but unfortunatelty that plugin is not compatible with the current version of Firefox. It was what i was looking for though :whistling:

Cheers for the help

Jamie

siljaline

siljaline

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 22 posts
  • MVP
This HOSTS File works with IE & FF.
Is this the resolution that you are looking for?

Silj

jamielaw

jamielaw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
A HOSTS file should work with any browser because it is not browser dependant. I appreciate the reply but no i wasn't looking for that. Anyone got any ideas how to edit the policy manager in Firefox to create a restricted policy and add the contents of the hosts file? Appraently once i have got a policy created then i can get a message to appear saying this website is restricted blah blah blah in Firefox like i do in IE

Cheers

Jamie

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

I appreciate the response but unfortunatelty that plugin is not compatible with the current version of Firefox. It was what i was looking for though :whistling:

Cheers for the help

Jamie

It was not useable for version 1.5.0.4 or an earlier version you have? Author said it works with version 1.5 and that was a link to his site. Maybe install it anyway and see if it will work (or did you?). At least you could email the author of the extension and see what he plans to do to update it. After all, all FF extensions search for updates for themselves very quickly when you click the Search for Updates button.

Ron.

jamielaw

jamielaw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
Major Payne

I did install the plugin and searched for updates but as i stated previously it is not compatible with the current version of FireFox and yes i did search for updates. I appreciate you looking in to it though :whistling:

Hmm maybe the e-mail thing you suggested could be a possibility i may look into that

Cheers

Jamie

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

... Anyone got any ideas how to edit the policy manager in Firefox to create a restricted policy and add the contents of the hosts file? Appraently once i have got a policy created then i can get a message to appear saying this website is restricted blah blah blah in Firefox like i do in IE

Cheers

Jamie

Maybe checkout this link and see if you can find what you want:

Configuring and Customizing Firefox

HTHs,

Ron

jamielaw

jamielaw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
Cheers. This website looks useful. Just got to figure out how to get it to use the HOSTS file to add them to the policy manager.

Cheers

Jamie

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I think you have it there. Looks like you can add all sites using Mozilla's guidelines and even set different policies for different sites. The main thing is you can put more than one site on a line:

Example:

user_pref("capability.policy.strict.sites", "http://www.evil.org [url="http://www.annoying.com");"]http://www.annoying.com");[/url]

Way to go! :whistling:

Ron

jamielaw

jamielaw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
Cheers :whistling:

Only thing is i have about 84000+ sites in my HOSTS file so i am trying to figure out a way to do this. Any suggestions would be most welcome!

Cheers

Jamie

siljaline

siljaline

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 22 posts
  • MVP

Cheers :whistling:

Only thing is i have about 84000+ sites in my HOSTS file so i am trying to figure out a way to do this. Any suggestions would be most welcome!

Cheers

Jamie

It would be most helpful to know whose HOSTS file you are using.
You might want to check-out These FAQ's

Silj