Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restricted sites in Firefox

• Please log in to reply

jamielaw

jamielaw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
I am using HostsMan. Cheers for the link it was quite interesting.

I have found what causes the error message to be displayed. But the value for the string is boolean with no option to change it i.e. i have a choice of true or false. Somehow i need to change this string to display a message e.g. "This is a restricted website!!!". Obviously FireFox looks up this string when a restricted website is accessed so its not like i can simply create a new string, neither can i create a string with the same name it simply only allows true or false.

This string below:

browser.xul.error_pages.enabled

Anyone got any ideas on that?

Cheers for the continued help :whistling:

Jamie

Advertisements

jamielaw

jamielaw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
Seems it is now working. On restricted websites i get the message "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.xxxxxx.com". Cheers everyone! :whistling: Just one last question, any ideas how to edit that message to something else.

Cheers

Jamie

P.S. Don't ask how i did it because i don't know. :blink:

siljaline

siljaline

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 22 posts
  • MVP
You can't connect to certain websites since they are loaded in your HOSTS file.
Assuming you are running a good HOSTS file de-obfuscate this URL:
http://xxx.coolwebsearch.com - Your HOSTS file should block the URL from loading.

To you previous query -

Why do I see the "unable to connect" message (Firefox only)
The solution is to set the following in about:config to false:

Silj

jamielaw

jamielaw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Why do I see the "unable to connect" message (Firefox only)
The solution is to set the following in about:config to false:

This didn't work as i sort of implied in an earlier post. I am happy with how it is at the moment i just wondered if i could change the message (see last post).

Cheers :whistling:

Jamie

siljaline

siljaline

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 22 posts
  • MVP
Jamie, I'm all out of ideas and suggestions - best bet, check with the Moz Folks

Silj

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

... On restricted websites i get the message "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.xxxxxx.com". Cheers everyone! :whistling: Just one last question, any ideas how to edit that message to something else. ...

You seem to be finding the answers better than I can. The related information for the messages given by FF can be found here:

Firefox: 1.5 Network Error Messages

One you want is under "connectionFailure". Not sure FF has a page you could edit properly.

Wish I could research this more at this time.

Ron

jamielaw

jamielaw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

You seem to be finding the answers better than I can

More luck than research :whistling:

Firefox: 1.5 Network Error Messages

This basically just tells you what error is displayed. The reasons listed are IDENTICAL to the ones you get if you open a page in Firefox where the website server is down or something. Not entirely surely why they made that page. Cheers for that though. As i previously stated in my earlier post i have got past that stage. I have now got to the point where i have an error message being displayed (not an error page as in the above link). I have posted in the Firefox forum as suggested by siljaline. Just see what they say now.

Cheers for all the help it has been very useful!

Jamie

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I was hoping you could find the page that FF allowed you to edit messages like that. It may be there and I hope the response from the forum is favorable.

BTW, the TargetAlert extension does work. Emailed the author and he says version 1.5 on the link I gave is the one. I have it installed now and works like a charm.

Ron

jamielaw

jamielaw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
It does it indeed! I tried the first link the person provided and that download didn't work. But when you said it worked i then looked through the website for a download link and then it seemed to work. Any ideas how to set it up to indicated a restricted link? It only appears to show "good" things e.g opening websites in new windows etc. Things like opening Active-X, or restricted sites is not included.

Glad you noticed it was working! I was wondering why it didn't work :whistling:

Cheers

Jamie