Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Nero 7.2 ultra gets corrupted after pc restarted

• Please log in to reply

funtmachine

funtmachine

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hello,

I have had a problem with Nero 7 ever since i first tried using it. I was firstly using XP Home with SP2,
and when i installed nero, it would load and i could use it, but the next time i rebooted, when trying to load nero startsmart, it said "nero startsmart.exe has encountered an error and needs to close.."

Then i tried to run nero burning rom, which is a seperate nero executable. It said that the executable had been modified, potentially because of a virus..

I decided to re format, and install windows xp Professional 32 bit. I am still having the same problems, and service pack one is installed this time, as i also wondered if it was service pack 2 causing the problems.

I know i dont have any malware on my PC, so what could possibly be causing this...? I have tried about 4 different downloads of Nero 7, including the trial from the official website. The serials i am using work, i dont think that is the problem...

I have had this problem before with ITunes + quicktime installer, and winamp...... ITunes never works now, and winamp is at the moment, but thats because nero is not installed; installing nero will mess up winamp.exe

can anyone help? or has anyone seen this before??

Thankyou in advance..

Dave

Advertisements

mcsmc

mcsmc

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
This forum does NOT support pirated software installations.

Edited by mcsmc, 03 June 2006 - 02:48 AM.

funtmachine

funtmachine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

You're an idiot. This forum does NOT support pirated software installations.

Excuse me dude, but I purchased nero 6 early last year, and when 7 came out, I applied online for a purchased upgrade and was given a serial number to complete my installation. Since it hasnt worked with the demo version from nero.com, i experimented with other downloads. The serial i purchased is legitimate.

Dave

mcsmc

mcsmc

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Okay. You mentioned "serial numbers" (plural). That's what made me think you got a collection of them from somewhere.

Regardless, I'd recommend running a virus scan first. THISis a free online virus scan you can use.

You can also try running a few other virus scanners. If your system appears clean, try uninstalling Nero and using System Restore at a point before the installation of the program.

EDIT: Honestly, I think version 7 is still unstable, and recommend sticking with version 6, but that's my opinion (along with a lot of other people, though).

Edited by mcsmc, 03 June 2006 - 02:47 AM.

funtmachine

funtmachine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
ok mcsmc,

This might be a little bit of useful information, also for anyone else with a similar problem...

I did as you said, and had an online system scan done. It revealed a win32.Parite infection. How this is possible, I do not know, as i have only just re formatted and re installed my Windows..

Win32.Parite modifys executables by attaching itself to it, i think, and I actually had 483 infections... I guess that only some programs matter, like nero, winamp and itunes, because they probably check for a modified executable or something.....

Anyway, the problem is fixed, thankyou so much for your help and pointing me towards that scan, because i wrongly ruled out the chance of infection, as i thought a re install would eliminate it..

For future reference, the fixer can be downloaded at

http://www.bitdefend...reeRemovalTool/

cheers dude for your help,

Dave....