Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

External Harddrive Problem, Won't Fill Past 99gb (250gb Drive)

• Please log in to reply

CyrusTheMute

CyrusTheMute

• Pip
  • 7 posts
So, I have a Bytecc external USB harddrive encasing with a Western Digital 250gb drive in it.
It worked fine and properly for awhile, until one day I tried to transfer a file onto it and it froze half way through the file transfer.
I tried a few more files, each would freeze at some point during the transfer.
So, I tried to fix it.
Ran multiple defrags and scan disks on it while it was reading 133gb full out of 232gb total drive space. Eventually it started reading as total size 99gbs, and 0bytes free.
So, we formatted the drive by taking it out of the encasing, putting it into an empty computer box, and using a Windows XP disc to format it.
It then read fine, saying it had 232gb free, was empty, and I started filling it again.
Now, I'm back at that same place and it won't accept files again.
It is as if the hard drive thinks it is a 99gb drive, and that is very lame.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Just used this forum to fix my main drive from a spyquake infection, and I am forever in debt to you guys already, so feel free to ignore me as you have already helped me sooo much.
Thanks
-Cy

Advertisements

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
You could try putting the bare drive into the computer from which the files are to be transfered and see if it locks up and a direct transfer. If it does then the drive is bad. If it doesn't then that points to the external enclosure being bad.

CyrusTheMute

CyrusTheMute

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The computer the files are coming from is a laptop so I can't put the drive into it.
I've read something about a problem in splitting the partition, something about MBR. Not sure, not savvy enough.

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
An MBR is short for Master Boot Record which is something only to do with the drive that the operating system is on. Since this is a slave drive that doen't apply.

Can you move the drive to that other desktop computer and copy, say, the contents of a DVD disc to it to see if that happens sucessfully ?