Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

problems

• Please log in to reply

toffeymen

toffeymen

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
hi all, im trying to clean up an old pc and i booted into dos mode and ran fdisk then deleted the partition and then created the partition and it asked me to reboot then format, but after rebooting it will now not load up it just stops saying initialising................... the thing is i can not get into setup to get it to boot from cd or floppy disk because it keeps asking for a password any help please many thanks in advance

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi toffeymen...

Let's try resetting the CMOS

To do this, you need to remove the CMOS battery. It's about the size of a quarter and is usually located in the lower right quarter of the Motherboard. Near the battery (either below or to the right on most) you should see 3 small pins with a jumper block on them. It should look like this, where the underscore represents the jumper . . . Move the jumper to the other pins . . . for about 30 seconds and then move it back to it's original position. Put the battery back in, making sure to put it in + side up. Try to boot your machine.

Note that this will clear the date, time, and restore all default settings to the BIOS. You will have to reset any settings you have changed such as Boot Priority. If you are not using a static strap, keep one hand or your arm touching the metal part of the case to prevent static discharge damage to the Motherboard and it's components.

Once you have finished with that, boot to the Win98 Startup disk. At the options screen, press Shift + F5 for command prompt. At the A:\ prompt, type format c: /s, and press "Enter". This should start the formatting operation.

When the drive has finished formatting, restart using the Win98 Startup disk and choose "Start with cd-rom support" from the listed options. Put the installation cd in the drive, type e:setup, and press "Enter"...installation should begin.

Let me know how it goes.

wannabe1

toffeymen

toffeymen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
hi there, thanks for all your help so far but...............................
i followed your instructions and when i booted pc back up it says :-

cmos checksum error - defaults loaded
warning a new cpu installed. press (del) key to enter bios setup to set cpu speed
perss f1 to continue, del to enter setup

so first of all i went into setup to change boot sequence but no matter which one i choose after rebooting it gets so far and just says verifying.................. (might be another word there but cant remember what it was). and then nothing happens.

second try i just pressed f1 to continue and it just came to the same screen saying verifying.................

so i am still stuck any further help would be great, once again thanks for your time

My2Cents

My2Cents

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
go into the bios, and auto detect hardrive and save changes,Y to what it finds for hdd and cdroms ,reboot to format

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Nice.... :whistling:

Enter the BIOS Setup and set the Fail Safe Defaults. This can sometimes be accomplished by pressing F5, but look at the navigation instructions for your BIOS version...these should be at the bottom of the screen or on the right side of the screen. If the "key-press" option for this is not available in your BIOS, look for the settings under each catagory until you find it...it may be listed as "Fail Safe" or simply "Defaults", but should be in there somewhere. Be sure to save the settings (F10) when you exit BIOS. Give it adequate time for the verification process...it sometimes takes a few minutes. Then see if it will boot to the Startup Disk.

toffeymen

toffeymen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
thanks for the info i have tried all of the above but after doing all this it just get to the stage where is says.........verifying DMI pool data.........

and thats it nothing please can u advise further, thanks again for your time