Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to repair internet connection after power outage

• Please log in to reply

Enigmatic

Enigmatic

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello there, I hope that this is the correct forum to post this. I was unsure if this should go here or in the windows XP forum.

Yesterday, a nearby bolt of lightning caused a brief power outage where I am. (Yes, I have surge protectors) After getting power back, I attempted to reset my cable modem (Toshiba PCX2500), my router (Linksys BEFSR41 v1), and rebooted both of my computers (Both running WinXP Pro SP1). I've managed to get one (older) computer to connect to the internet again by connecting directly to my cable modem.

I seem to have two problems:

Major Problem: One of my computers, the one I use all the time, is unable to connect to the internet. Even by connecting directly to the cable modem. Edit: Problem fixed now. Details at bottom of this section.

Network card: Integrated card on ASUS A7N8X Deluxe motherboard.

Attempted fixes and associated errors:
1) Command prompt -> ipconfig with any /command. Returns the message: "Windows IP Configuration", then returns me to the c:\> prompt.

2) Control Panel -> Network Connections -> Select 1394 -> Select "Repair this Connection". Returns the message: "Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection. Cannot continue." Also, in the 1394 -> Status -> Support tab, there is <unavailable> in all entries.

3) Command prompt -> "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt". No message returned... can't find the log. Never used this command until now though.

4) Command prompt -> "netdiag /test:winsock /v". Message returned: "Failed to get information for a network adapter. The error occured was: The pipe is being closed.
<232> [FATAL] Unable to find TCP/IP configuration from the registry."

5) System Restore. Went back to 3 different restore points. No effect.

6) regedit -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services -> Deleted winsock and winsock 2 folders. Rebooted. Went to control panel -> Network connections -> 1394 -> reinstalled TCP/IP protocol from Windows/inf. Rebooted. No effect.

7) Went to control panel -> Network connections -> 1394 -> Properties -> Uninstalled windows client, file/printer sharing, and tcp/ip protocol. Reinstalled all 3. No effect.

8) Went to device manager, uninstalled 1394 (only network card showing). Rebooted. No noticable effect, other than 1394 being renamed to "1394 connection 2"

9) Ran chkdsk. No effect.

Comments: HijackThis shows nothing suspicious. Scanned with AdAware SE (using updated definitions) around 12 hours before the outage. I don't suspect malware/virus problems. There are 2 identical network cards in this computer. (both integrated in the motherboard) I don't suspect hardware failure, but I don't really know at this point.

Edit, 12 hours later: I attempted using the network configuration disk that came from my ISP. It told me that I had no NIC drivers installed. *cough* Soo... I found and installed the drivers for my network card, on the CD that came with my motherboard, and all is well again. Simple solution for a complex looking problem heh.

Minor Problem: The router does not recognize that either computer is connected to it, at least judging by the connection lights on the front of the router. I consider this minor since I rarely use both computers at once anyhow. Would like to fix it eventually though.

Router Model: Linksys BEFSR41 v1

Steps taken to attempt to fix, so far: Manually reset the router. No effect.

Edit again, 30 minutes after last edit: Just switched the ports that my computers connected to, on the router, reset the router and the cable modem, and it works again. Woo.

Edited by Enigmatic, 03 June 2006 - 05:05 PM.

Advertisements

dwestcorp

dwestcorp

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had same Lighting Strike problem with 5 computers on a Hotel network, traced it down to LAN cable end at network card and on some of the small form factor computers also fried or carbon arced Network card.

Test with new cable from network card.

If card is on mother board try small form factor PCI LAN card, if you have slot.

Dynex DX-E102 PCI LAN Card has both large and small from factor PCI mounting brackets, I got 2 at Best Buy, ordered 4 more from Ebay to have on hand.

Last power outage caused by breaker tripping took out VGA port along with cable and LAN card damage, to another computer, all are on small surge protectors.

May want to bump surge protector to 2800 Joules, Walmart units for around $20.00

If Laptop you have a major problem.

Michael Duet

Michael Duet

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Is Your Belkin Router Has Stopped working After storm Or Power Outage ?
You Must Be surprised How all of the Sudden your Belkin router has stopped working ?
Don’t Worry We Can Fix This problem together In Just Few Minutes
Just Follow these Basic Troubleshooting First –

Troubleshooting Belkin Router –
1- Please Unplug Your Belkin Router And Modem From Power Outlet .
2- Disconnect the Internet Cable Between Belkin router And Modem (Internet Services Provider ) .
3- Restart Your Computer And Wait For 1 minutes
4- Plug Everything Back And Turn The Router And Modem On .

Now Try to connect with Internet See if that Helps –
More About Why Belkin router is blinking orange and not working ?
Guys If You Still See Your Router With No Internet Access Than We Think Its Time To Reset Your Belkin Router And 

Setup it Again .
GOOD LUCK

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Try this tool.