Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't see images on gateway laptop

• Please log in to reply

MoDavis

MoDavis

• Pip
  • 8 posts
<<<<<<<<hey there,

i just bought a new laptop

windows xp
mcafee antivirus and firewall

my problem is i cant veiw images on sites...>>>>>>>>>>

I saw this thread and tried to reply, but no one is answering, maybe because it's such an old thread? I'm having the same exact problem. I've toyed with ie settings, I've disabled mcaffe and windows firewall, I've downloaded firefox, you name it. nothing works and I'm so ready to box this pos up and send it back it isn't funny! Can anyone help me?

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. If you are using IE go to tool, internet options, advanced tab. Then scroll down and look for multimedia. Make sure show pictures is checked.

MoDavis

MoDavis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yep, it's checked. Some pics show up after I refresh a few times, some never show up, some show up at random when they feel like it, even if they didn't show up earlier after a million refreshes. No rhyme or reason, makes no sense. Same problems in firefox.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Have you completed all the SP2 updates? There was one earlier critical update that was causing problems. I think Microsoft has already issued the patch for the patch. I don't know at this point. I would check to make sure all of SP2 has been installed by going to the Update Site at Microsoft first.

Ron

MoDavis

MoDavis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok, all updates are downloaded, computer has restarted. Nothing has changed :whistling:

Thanks to those who have welcomed me and tried to help!

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
You said you just bought a "new laptop". Is it under warranty? If it is, call the manufacturer's tech support. It would be a good way to get some up close and personal assistance. If not, tell us more details and we will continue to try to help. Details, like have you tried another browser (like Firefox vs IE)?

MoDavis

MoDavis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I really don't want to bed rude because I appreciate the fact that I'm asking for help here and you guys are making an effort. However, it's been a long day and my patience is thin. I hate calling tech support, if I have to resort to that I may just send the thing back and get a different brand. This is just getting ridiculous!

Austin, do you read the other posts in the thread to get a feel for the problem before you give advice? Just curious because I mentioned in almost every post I've written that I'm having the same problems in firefox and IE 6. I'm not a computer dummy by any means. I've given all the detail I can possibly think of, it''s only three or four short posts. Read them if you wish and get back to me.

Sorry, I know that doesn't sound very nice, but I'm never one to mince words. I meaqn it in the best way possible really.

Thanks again for the replies!

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Know this is frustrating. Especially on a new laptop. Would be interested in make/model.

Just as a stab in the dark, open the Start up processes (via Start>Run, msconfig) and stop all of them. Reboot, just check the little box in dialog window that pops up and see if you have the same problem in viewing images.

This is not going to solve your problem, but it is a nice diagnostic link for the Firefox browser should you want to bookmark it: Images or Animations Don't Load

The only other suggestion I can make is to do a Search of this site for related problem. From the notifications I have been getting lately, your problem is not unique. The solutions to each have been varied.

Ron

MoDavis

MoDavis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
It's a gateway laptop, as the opening thread says. I copied part of it from another thread on here. That's how I found this site, I put my problem in google and that thread came up. They never seemed to figure anything out on that thread. I tried replying to it and got no response, so I figured it would be better to start my own thread.

It has to be a computer problem, because I have the same issues with firefox and IE6. You wouldn't think it would be the browser if the same thing happens on a totally diff browser.

All the advice in the old thread was IE advice, much of which I've already tried. The last post on that thread (aside from mine)was made by the person having the problem, stating that it still wasn't working.

I know this has been a problem for someone else with a gateway laptop, so I'm not just an idiot who shouldn't have a computer. I hate how tech support talks down to you and asks you retarded questions (ok, see where it says START, on the bottom left, click that, then look on the right in the list for control panel). I'm always three steps ahead of their advice. I know they probably get a lot of stupic callers, I just hate being talked to like I have a brain tumor.

I put a fresh install of windows on here when I got it, so that shouldn't be an issue either. I don't know what else to try!

MoDavis

MoDavis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
oh, model is mx6421. It isn't brand new, i've had it for a few months now. I've just been putting up with it hoping the issue would magically resolve itself :whistling: