Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible overheating? help

• Please log in to reply

luckyboym

luckyboym

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Within the last week or so I have noticed that my computer will lock up after its been on for a few hours, but this only happens when I have a certain program running. I am downloading about 40 or so files with Azureus, and everything works fine like before I go to bed. When I wake up the screen is just stuck, I can't move the mouse, and I have to reset. I have never had this problem before, but I just installed 3x300 gig hdds, and an ATI x1800. So could it be overheating with all this new equipment or is just Azureus overloading the system.

Advertisements

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Hi luckyboym,a few more system details could help, from what Ive read Azureus is very resource hungry

luckyboym

luckyboym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
AMD dual core 4200
500W ps
xp media center edition
2 gig ram
scythe 120mm case fan
coolermaster centurion case

Whenever I am downloading, Azureus is the only thing running.

The reason I didn't think it was Azureus is because I was downloading up to 100 files at a time a few weeks ago with no freeze ups.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
With all of that you only have one 120mm fan in it?! That may be the problem unless your case has some amazing ability to vent heat.

luckyboym

luckyboym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
there is an intake fan in the front of the case

luckyboym

luckyboym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I just downloaded speedfan so I have a few numbers to report. The ambient temp. runs from 35 to 39 with just Azureus. I played the call of Cthullu game and ambient temp got up to around 41. The hdds run below forty and the video card is about 112. Are these temps okay?

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
I'm guessing these are celcius. The during Azureus numbers are fine (is that your CPU temp?) and 41 is pretty good as well (my CPU is always high 20's to low 30's). Your hard drive is fine but I hope to god that the video card is in Farhenheit for some reason because that's obscene!

You may need an aftermarket cooler and fast! If that is in celcius, your video card is running at 233.6*F!!! If these numbers are right, I say your lucky to still have a video card :whistling:

luckyboym

luckyboym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Nope, thats Celsius. The x1800 has a built in fan and from what I read runs pretty hot. The card isn't overclocked or anything so that temp is straight out of the box.I don't know what a card's temp should be so if you say thats too high then I don't know whats up. Maybe speedfan reported it in Fahrenheit?? But, you think the other temps are okay? The centurion has a mesh front for air flow but only one 120mm and one 80mm fan spot. I was thinking of adding turbine fans for better cooling. What do you think?

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
More cooling never hurts. But yes, the other temps are great, most people wish that their CPU and HD were that :whistling:

Although this is an article on how to make your PC super quiet, every section contains product ideas that are quiet and push lots of air, so I used this to look for new fans for my case.
http://www.maximumpc...o_make_you.html

Read through that and get back if you decide to get fans or something.

EDIT: Be aware that if you add slot based turbine fans, your computer will get a lot louder. Although they cool, they are also very noisy (most of them at least.)

Edited by BlackPandemic, 05 June 2006 - 12:12 PM.

luckyboym

luckyboym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Okay, so I just put an order in at newegg for some fans.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835186002

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835221002

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835129245

I'm going to use the 120mm for exhaust, the 80mm as intake, and the AC fan should keep the x1800 cool.

What do you think?

Advertisements

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
VGA Cooler - Good
Turbine Cooler - Loud (it's a turbine, I know it'll be loud) but good

The only problem is your 80mm. I would have NOT recommended that one in a heart beat. It is sooooooo loud. I would have rather seen you get:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835186006
or
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811999602

Quiet, and move a decent amount of air. If noise isn't an issue, it's a great fan. I however like a quiet PC. *shrugs* Opinion.

luckyboym

luckyboym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Thanks for the other ideas. I figure I'll give that one a try and if it ends up being too loud, then I'll try one of the other ones. Btw, what do you use to find out all of your temps? Is speedfan okay?

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
My case has a built in LCD screen on the front that tells me the CPU and HD temps, I don't have an external program.

luckyboym

luckyboym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
oh. I just checked another program and it gives a reading of 55*C for the graphics card. That sounds better,huh?

edit: Okay, I think I found the problem. Speed fan will give a really high temp(or really low) if that particular sensor is not hooked up. One example I saw had a reading of -128 or something. So the high temp I was seeing was really nothing. So I guess I ordered a bunch of fans for nothing. Thanks for your help and advice.

Edited by luckyboym, 05 June 2006 - 11:37 PM.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
everest home is a good program it displays my temps well and is always pretty acurate give that a try im not sure if it tells you about graphics card temps (dont have temp moniotring on my GFX card) but it tells you all of teh other temps and voltages on teh same page its pretty good give it a try

you can get it from here:
http://www.softpedia...load-16369.html

troppo