Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Port keeps losing optical mouse, cant find/fix problem

• Please log in to reply

Ceejayw

Ceejayw

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am using a HPzd7000. Up until recently it has worked very well. Of late it has developed some disturbing habits. It keeps dropping the mouse so I have to unplug it from the USB port and plug it in again. It also has a tendency to crash unexpectedly. There is no warning, just a click and no computer. I cannot afford to spend vast amount of time on this, I need the machine.
I have run System mechanic anc it report sfinding and fixing several errors, Also I run spyware doctor regularly. If anyone has any ideas please help

Thankyou

CeeJayW
:blink: :whistling:

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Have you tried connecting the mouse to another USB port? is it the same?

*Run disk cleaner
*Run a scan of your disk. to do that: click start > run > chkdsk /f /r. You will get a note telling you that the process will start after a reboot. Confirm, reboot and let the process run. It will take quite some time.
*Run Disk Defragmenter.

If the above processes didn't make a difference please download install and run Everest Home Edition (a link in my signature). Click Computer > Sensor. Report CPU, HD and motherboard temperatures. Also report voltages (shown on the same page)

Kenny94

Kenny94

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
Hello Ceejayw and Welcome to Geeks To Go!

Dust clogs the vents behind your computer, which causes your CPU to heat up—and heat is will cause component failure in computers. Try a can of compressed air and blow air around the back and sides of your labtop. Also, blow air into the floppy disk and CD drives as well. Have you try a different mouse?

Some viruses, especially memory-resident viruses can cause the PC to crash unexpectedly.

Ceejayw

Ceejayw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thankyou Kenny and Skeptic. Sorry to be so long replying, problems with talktalk. I have tried moving the mouse to another port. Same problem. I do suspect overheating. Have had problems with the machine suddenly shutting down and also slow running. I have lifted the base off the table and trained a fan under it and this seems to have helped. Everest reports that the cpu is running at about 58 degrees. I have no idea if this is ok or not. I have just blown compressed air through the intakes and will take off the back when I have a little more time and give it all a proper blow through. I will let you kno, thanks for your help

Clive