Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2nd drive is there,, but isnt ? very strange !

• Please log in to reply

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi all,,, strange one here for you,,,

Recently bought a new pc with an 80gb hard drive.
Added my 120gb drive from my old pc, into the spare slot in the new pc.
When it was added,, i formatted it so it was empty,, and clean.
When you go into " my computer ",, you can clearly see both drives,,,,listed as,,,

MAIN HARDRIVES:
---------------------

C/ Main 80gb drive ( os,, music, pics etc,,,)

D/ recovery partition ( this is actually on the c drive which has been partitioned , but has its own letter )

E/ 120gb drive ( formatted and empty )

DEVICES WITH REMOVABLE STORAGE:
---------------------------------------------
F/ dvd rw drive

G/ removable disk

H/ removable disk

I/ removable disk

J/ removable disk

OTHER:
--------

Mobile device,, (dell pda )

But ,,,,,the problem is ,,,,, I would like to transfer my music files (50GB ) videos and pics,, from the smaller C/ drive, onto the larger, empty, E/drive,,, but,, whenever i right click on the music folder, to move its location,,or " send to ",, the drop down box doesnt have the e/ drive on its list,,,,,everthing else listed above is on the drop down box,,,everything but the E/ drive ?????

Now,,, have been into the computer management section,, and from there into disk management,,, and the E/ drive is clearly there,,, active,, healthy, and running normally,,,

Basically,,, the E/ drive is recognised in every area that you would expect to see it,,, but i cant transfer the 50 gb of music from one drive to another?????

Before anybody asks why i want to do things this way,,,,,, my music files are constantly growing,, and soon alll my pictures and home videos are going onto the pc,, so i want them all together on the larger drive, as the 80GB one with the os etc on it, is soon gonna be full to bursting,

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated,,, This is doing my head in ...
Cheers,, Kev..

Advertisements

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Before you do a bad move and swear about it...

The SEND TO command doesnt actually move the files, it creates a shortcut in that location. I can show you how to add the E: drive into that menu, but it isnt what you want to do.

The simplest, easyest, and most fail-proof way to move a file is, and will always be to cut and paste, from the old location, to the new.

Furthermore, I'd copy and paste, check the files, and THEN delete the old ones... Just in case something goes wrong while the transfer is in progress, 50 gigs is alot of stuff to loose.

Cheers :whistling: