Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PROBLEMS WITH DISC CLEAN-UP

• Please log in to reply

HP742n

HP742n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
OK;

The regsvr32 /i shell32 worked; what was that?

Still no luck in resolving the XP Disc Clean Up on C:/.

How do I perform a repair install of XP? Will it kill any settings, docs, etc? I don't have a disk. I have some D:/ with the disk info or something like that... never fully understood that.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You would need to check with the supplier as to the capabilities of the recovery partition, it could be it will only return the PC to day one status, anything installed after that, you would need the installation source for, and you especially need to ask about anything in My Documents, Music and Pictures

HP742n

HP742n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well; all the guidance has my computer running pretty well exept for that (explorative) DISK CLEAN-UP for my C:/...... There's got to be an answer....

Anyone?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, click My Computer, right click C, click properties, in the dialog box / General, click disc clean up, disc clean up should start then pause, in the new dialog box, check the file types you want to clean, click OK, click yes

HP742n

HP742n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I FINALLY FIXED IT!!!!!!

There's a fix in the Windows automatic updates; Service Pack 2. I had it before and uninstalled it. Before & after I intalled SP2 for the very first time, my Disc Cleanup worked fine. After the uninstall, Disc Cleanup stopped working. There's some kind of glitch when it's uninstalled, but I put it back in today and FINALLY, things are back to normal.

Well Keith, I learned a lot of new stuff through our help which I'll remember and I appreicate it. I also noticed that you replied pretty fast no matter when I left my last post. That was pretty impressive. I started to wonder if you were a computer!!

Thanks so much!!!!!

Edited by HP742n, 11 June 2006 - 09:03 AM.