Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Intermittent Boot Problem

• Please log in to reply

Fallout

Fallout

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Okay, this is a pretty new problem. Yesterday, I was using my computer without any issues in the morning and when I left for work at night, I shut it off like normal. When I came home and powered it back on, it would load up the initial video card spec screen, switch to the first POST screen and just hang after displaying the processor. Normally, it would show the memory, the drives, and then continue to boot.

So, I tried playing around. I disconnected various things to no avail, reseated everything and still no resolution. However, this problem is intermittent. When it works, it works all the way (I'm making this post from that very computer). Any suggestions as to what can cause this problem and what steps I should take to try and resolve it?

My computer is a custom AMD Athlon 64 3000+ with 2 GB RAM on a ECS motherboard. Forgive me if I dont' know too many other specifics, but feel free to ask if you need them and I'll try to provide some more details.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome go Geeks to Go. Perchance, did you download and/or intall any software just prior to the beginning of this trouble. Did you make any hardware changes just prior?

Fallout

Fallout

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Nothing, on both counts. The only thing I did that morning was poke around online and play some World of Warcraft. That's about it. Aside from that, I'm still on that computer and it's running without any problems. Only when I'm cold booting. I've even tried unplugging it, decharging the board and reconnecting several times to see if that'd help, but still no help.

Fallout

Fallout

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Just to add, is it possible it could be a motherboard issue, if it's intermittent? I've tried booting from both HDDs in my system, too, and it's still intermittent on that front. I have a warranty on my motherboard, so at least if it's that I don't have much to worry about. But if anyone has any other ideas of what it could be, it'd be most appreciative. Thanks.