Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to apply a font as default in Word 2003

• Please log in to reply

condeX

condeX

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Everytime I'm trying to apply a new font as default (Format>Font...) Word 2003 displays an error message it says:
Word cannot complete the save due to a file permission error.
(C:\Documents and Settings\...\Normal.dot)
[OK]
When I click on OK button then it display another message:
There is an unrecoverable disk error on file ~WRL3992.tmp.
The disk you are working has a media problem that prevents Word from using it.
*Try formatting another disk.
*Save the document to another disk.
[OK]
Clicking OK button, Word shows another message:
Word failed reading from this file (~WRL3992.tmp).
Please restore the network connection or replace the floppy disk and retry.
[Retry] [Cancel]
If I click Retry button, this message appears again.
If I click Cancel button, Word opens Save as...

A lot of message will display, so messy! I realy don't know how to resolve! I'm looking forward to your helps!
But I can apply a new font as default in Excel 2003 and even in other MS Office 2003 applications.
Thanks in advance.

Bao

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then search, include hidden and system files, look for normal.dot and rename it to normal.old

Open Word and try the font

condeX

condeX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Keith,

I did follow as your suggestion and I found 3 files named Normal.dot:
1. Normal.dot ---> C:\Documents and Settings\(user name)\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates
2. Normal.dot ---> shortcut of file above and located in the same folder
3. ~$Normal.dot ---> C:\Documents and Settings\(user name\ApplicationData\Microsoft\Office\Templates

I rename file 1. and opened Word to do my work. Then I closed Word and saved my work in My Documents folder. At this step a problem occured; an error message displayed:
"Word has lost data due to a bad network connection or missing floppy. Documents relying on this data are going to be save and closed. [OK]"

I clicked [OK] because had no other button to chose. And another error message dispayed:
"Word failed reading from this file (~WRLxxxx.tmp) (xxxx is a random four digits number). Please restore the network connection or replace the floppy disk and retry."

But I was doing my work on my own computer and didn't save it in a floppy disk!!!???

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can rename all instances of normal.dot

condeX

condeX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Dear Keith,
I renamed Normal.dot, then opened Word. I applied a font as default. It's OK. Happily I was doing my works. BUT when I saved the document with a new name with .doc extension, an error message appeared:
Word cannot complete the save due to file permission error.
(C:\...\My Documents\name.doc) [OK]
I click [OK] and then the Document1.doc changed the name to ~WRLxxxx.tmp (xxxx is a four digits random number).
My Word document lost!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Start the PC, click start then run, type %TEMP% then press enter, click edit, select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm, it will delete some then stop. Manually delete any which are not preceded with ~

Open Word, click help, click detect and repair, tick restore shotcuts

When the repair is complete, open Word, click tools, options, save, check autosave is ticked, reduce the time to 1 minute, click OK

Check it says save Word files as Word Document (*.doc)

Run Microsoft Update, check optional updates for anything applicable

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Start a new Word document, copy and paste anything in to it, save and close it, open it, add to it, save it a few times, reboot, open it, add to it, save it to see how it reacts

condeX

condeX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Keith,
Unfortunately, the issue still persists. I think only way remaining that is we have to uninstall Word and Office either and then reinstall it. How do you think?
If it is possible, please show me how to completely uninstall it and clear its related registries and what folders/files I have to backup. Thanks.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The only things that go when you uninstall Office are the e-mails in Outlook, so let me know if you need to back those up

Your Word documents will change to show Wordpad while Office is off the PC, but will revert to Word when you re-install Office

condeX

condeX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yeah, Keith, I want to back my these e-mails up.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
A couple of ways are:

http://support.micro...kb/238782/en-us

http://support.micro...kb/287070/en-us

Check you can import from the files you save

Use add / remove to uninstall Office

Download and run Windows clean up on the Office installation files only

http://download.micr...1bd/msicuu2.exe

Run through post 6 from prefetch to tune up reg defrag

Install Office, use custom / complete install, leave the installation files on the drive

Run Microsoft Update, also check for applicable optional updates

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us