Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows update

• Please log in to reply

andydf

andydf

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,660 posts
Hi TTs
I'm having a spot of bother with windows update to be more specific.

Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474)

If I go to the windows update site and review the install history it gives the Error Code: 0x80070005

I've tried a couple of suggestions i've found on the net but still no joy, I was hoping that one of you guys may have an idea. One more thing, this update is in add/remove but when I click on it there is no option to remove it. I assume this is because it is not installing fully, as I understand this update is not critical, if not I would be quite happy just to remove it from the system tray and ignore it.

Thanks

Andy

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Here is your birthday present :whistling:

http://support.micro...kb/917499/en-us

andydf

andydf

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Visiting Consultant
  • 1,660 posts
Thanks for the present Keith :whistling: unfortunately it doesn't work. I downloaded the MGADiag.exe tool but all it does is give the info below

WGA Diagnostic Data (1.5.0530.2):
--------------------
Genuine Validation Status: Genuine
Windows Product Key: *****-*****-8HHM3-8CX8Q-BTWQM
Windows Product Key Hash: ******/********/AgSVHgM1mZ4=
Windows Product ID: *****-OEM-2244432-88412
Windows Product ID Type: 3
Windows License Type: COA/Sysem Builder
Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
Download Center code: 4YFR5PC
ID: 565c2425-4d64-4ff1-a9ff-b081410ccdd9
Is Admin: Yes
AutoDial: No
Registry: 0x0
WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.532.0.
Signature Type: Microsoft.
Validation Diagnostic:

Scan: Complete
Cryptography: Complete

Office Status: 109
Office Diagnostics:

Proxy settings: N/A
User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~2\FIREFOX.exe
Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
Active scripting: Allowed
Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>565c2425-4d64-4ff1-a9ff-b081410ccdd9</UGUID><Version>1.5.0530.2</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-BTWQM</PKey><PID>55274-OEM-2244432-88412</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-343818398-879983540-682003330</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>ECS</Manufacturer><Model>M848A</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>07.00T</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20010402000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>9D6B39570184A05F</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone></MachineData> <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults>

I have no idea what all that is, hope it is of some help.
Thanks
Andy

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does it just run without giving any clues?

andydf

andydf

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Visiting Consultant
  • 1,660 posts
I assume you mean the tool, if so yes it just runs, firewall pops up asking for permission to connect, I say yes and then that info pops up.
(btw all other previous updates have installed without trouble).

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is for troubleshooting but involved

http://support.micro....com/kb/906602/

andydf

andydf

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Visiting Consultant
  • 1,660 posts
Still no joy, I have now tried navigating to C:\windows\softwaredistribution\download\ located the .exe file for that update, it starts to run then gives the message access denied WgaNotify installation did not complete, Windows XP has been partially updated and may not work properly. Can't say i've noticed any problems so far, i'm guessing it may be a permissions problem somewhere :whistling: I may try it in safe mode, you never know.
Thanks for the help
Andy

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is it automatic updates in the taskbar, you could click start, control panel, security centre and turn them off, the next lot aren't due till the 13th

andydf

andydf

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Visiting Consultant
  • 1,660 posts
Well, here's what has happened so far. Tried to boot into safe mode, but pressing F8 gives the option to boot from floppy, Hd1 Hd2 or cd rom, hit hd1 and it booted normaly. I downloaded bootsafe ran it and rebooted into safe mode, ended up in an endless reboot loop :whistling: Got fed up trying to fix it so I used ASR, luckily I had only backed up a couple of weeks ago :blink: Windows update then asked to install the update, so I thought I would give it another try, bad idea :help: still got the same problem. I have now turned of automatic updates and will now just check for updates periodically.

Thanks for the help Keith

Andy

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I have updates off because they send me details of anything which happens in between the regular monthly updates, you can sign up for those here

http://www.microsoft...tin/notify.mspx