Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NO SIGNAL TO THE MONITOR PLEASE HELP!

• Please log in to reply

cvclover

cvclover

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have an ASUS P4P800-X and a Intel P4 800mhz FSB CPU

When I turn my computer on, everything lights up and fans spin, but there is NO signal to the monitor. Its not my vid card, because I tested it and found that it was fine.

Right before my computer finally shut down like this and gave me no video signal, I had some overclocking error in a black screen. I have never overclocked, so I do not know why this happened.

I can only imagine this is a mobo or CPU problem, but I exhausted ALL avenues and diagnostics that ASUS recommended I try, so they told me to contact Intel and see what they say. I wanted to do a processor test, but GeekSquad said it would cost me $60 which I think is rediculous...

How can I narrow it down to either the CPU or the mobo?? This problem is driving me absolutely crazy!

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
Hi and welcome to geeks to go!

are you compleatly sure that you have reseated the video card? and cheaked all the connections to the motherboard?

can you see the the bios or post screen when restarting?

have you tried to reseat the cmos via either using the jumper or by removing the battery? this could solve some problems. if you want to reset the cmos make sure you go back into the bios and "load optimized defaults" or "fail safe defaults" then restart and see if you can get the picture back.

by the way what type of video card do you have? and what interface AGP? PCI-Express? PCI?

troppo

Edited by troppo, 03 June 2006 - 05:33 PM.

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
if you have another machine or know a friend, you can test the processer the same way (i assume) that you tested your graphics card. An overclock error usually refers to a problem with clock synchronization or speed so I would definantly reset your BIOS. I am also assuming by what you said that your moniter is geting no signal what so ever, which means you need to check your vidio card, then processer, then mb in another machine. this may require paying someove, but it will help you narrow down what the problematic piece of hardware is.
gl with that btw lol

Nixx

cvclover

cvclover

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm sure its not the video card (AGP BTW), because I put another vid card into my machine, with the same problem.

I can't get to bios because I'm seeing absolutely nothing on video. I called Asus and they tried to get me to plug in a pc speaker into the mobo to hear some beeps or something but it didn't do anything... which is why they said my next step was to call Intel.

I don't know what to do. Both parts are still under warranty, so I just want to find out which part is broken so I can get this thing fixed.

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
As you have proven its not the AGP and Mobo is more likely to be at fault as it is under warranty I'd take it back,the supplier should be able to prove its OK or replace it

cvclover

cvclover

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok so I called Intel, and they said I have to either test my processor in a friend's computer to make sure its the broken part, or take it to a local shop.

The local shop (GeekSquad at Bestbuy) charges $60 to do a processor test. What am I supposed to do? I shouldn't have to pay a dime to have a broken part fixed under warranty, and I don't have the option of testing the processor out in another computer... (all my friends have laptops)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
question....does your motherboard come with onboard video as well as the agp slot?

cvclover

cvclover

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
No clue, sorry.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
are there two places to plug a monitor in on the back or just one?

cvclover

cvclover

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Just one.

cvclover

cvclover

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
So we found the problem...

It was a busted video card. BUT, we couldn't find that earlier with test involving the mobo with onboard video because the power supply was fried too.

Now that the problem has been diagnosed... why did it give me the CPU overclocking warning before it initially shut down? I never overclocked... and the problem was video related.