Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

One of THOSE questions

• Please log in to reply

roasted

roasted

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i didnt know where to post this, so i stuck it here

http://www.geekstogo..._topic-f92.html

any one seen :KAVLICHS:$DATA attached as additional data to a file ???

WHAT IS IT?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
no clue, can you give us anything more ? Where is this file? Happenign many times or once?

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
This is more information from a double thread I found: (Double has been closed)

Tried finding a home for this question, couldn't and landed here ... does anyone know why i would have this -

:KAVLICHS:$DATA attached to files in my harddrive ....?

I'm copying files to an SD Card and it's saying additional info won't be transferred - but it's weird because from the same folder it only chooses to bring up the 'can't add adtnl data' to a selected few and the rest just copy straight across ...i've never seen it before and therefore one tends to believe it can't be good...

anyone ever seen that before ?

DLarson

DLarson

• Pip
  • 4 posts
The NTFS file system allows each file to contain multiple "streams" or sets of data.
So besides the regular data you have in the file some other information could be stored. For example an older file version, author information etc.
So if you have a file on an NTFS disk partition and you try to move it to another type of disk with a file system that does not support streams any additional file streams would be lost.
What type of file were you moving?