Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

128MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Replacement

• Please log in to reply

Blacklion213

Blacklion213

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Dell Dimension 8300, 4GB RAM, 2 physical Hard disks, 128MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro video card, Windows XP pro (OEM) SP1 & SP2, Dell E193FP Flat Panel monitor, runs at 1280 x 1024.

The radeon 9800 Pro is showing video problems (pixelization, garbled video, dots all over the place, etc.). I want to replace it but I do not know what the power supply wattage is. I want to replace it with a comparable video card. I also would like to keep the heat down (if possible). I am not a gamer but I do casual game playing, graphics intensive work, like photo editing, etc. Does anyone know the wattage of a Dell Dimension 8300? Also, does anyone have any suggestions for a video card replacement?

Thank you.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
That model came with a 250 Watt or 305 Watt power supply, depending on when it shipped....you can open it up and look on the side of the unit...you will likely need AT LEAST a 350watt psu for a newer card

As always, the question is how much are you will to spend?

You will need an AGP interface, so some of the newer CPUs are out of the question

Blacklion213

Blacklion213

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I have looked inside the computer and the Power Supply is 250watt. This computer came brand new from Dell with the 250watt power supply and 128MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. Also, it is a AGP type video card. Do you have any ideas for a replacement video cards? Should I replace it with a new 125MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (if one can be found)? Crucial (Micron) is suggesting a 125MB Radeon 9600 SE. Any comments on the 9600? Any suggestions on other video cards, Nvidia etc.? Thank you.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
9600 would be a huge backstep

how much money are you willing to spend

7800gs from nvidia or an x800xt from ati would be about the best you can still get on agp

Blacklion213

Blacklion213

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I'll check out the 7800GS NVidia and the X800XT ATI. I hope they support a 250watt power supply.

I don't know how to change a video card let alone a new power supply. I just did not want to start replacing part, by part, by part, nickel dime, nickel dime, and so on. The 3year warranty ran out on this computer in May. All my Dells in the past went more than 4-6 years without a problem. This is my first Dell that worries me.

If I were to change power supplies how difficult is it? Where would I look for a more powerful power supply? How much do they cost? Will changing to a more powerful power supply require that I upgrade something else?

I'll be checking out parts for awhile.