Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hang Up

• Please log in to reply

BlkNite

BlkNite

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Good afternoon,
I recently had my second pc acting up and hanging. So, thought I would go over everything and do a clean install. No matter what I do the system hangs. I am not able to get thru the XP install without it hanging. I have tried other hd's, switching memory slots and different memory etc. I have built systems before but have never had this happen. It doesn't matter if I am running from a cd, hd, floppy or something as simple as memtest. Here are the specs:
System is 3 years old
WinXP originally
Intel 1.7 cpu
256 ddr 266mhz
pc400 m927lr mainboard
onbaord S3 savage4 graphics
onboard sound and lan
When the system hangs it makes a different sound as though all of a sudden it has been loaded down. no overclocking. cpu and case fan continue to run. although after changing mem slots it will usually run 5-10 minutes before hanging up. the ddr that is in it now I took out of my main system. i am not able to complete memtest so i don't know of an errors. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Jeff

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
are you sure all your components are compatable with your board, i know on older systems they only take sd-ram or stuff, can you accsess your bios ok? have you updated that either? sounds strange that it hands up, im pretty sure it could be a hardware problem but nothing comes to mind with the problem your describing ill wait on your post to see if anything else you can add or say can help run my mind :tazz:

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

undefined

The sound change maybe the psu if you can try another that would be the first step if not remove the psu, short the green and any black wirer on the 20 pin connecter with a paper clip, this will turn the psu on.

Check any yellow and black wirer with a digital volt meter it should read 12v but can be plus or minus 5%

Check the red 5v again + or - 5%

check orange 3.3v + or - 5%

This is a no load test and will not completely eliminate the psu but if any of the rails are below spec then I would replace it.

although after changing mem slots it will usually run 5-10 minutes before hanging up. the ddr that is in it now I took out of my main system

Ram is the main culprit when a OS won't install, maybe the old ram is bad and the ram out of your main computer is to fast for the old system, check the speed for compatability. You could also try the ram in your main system and memtest it on that.

Also go into bios check the temps a hot cpu could do this, let the computer in bios for 30 minutes or so and see if it locks up.

Try the above and post back your findings

Rick

BlkNite

BlkNite

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks guys, I will check into this over the next day or 2. Have alot of other going on right now. Soxrok, other than the memory that I changed, no other hdwe has been added. So I know everything else is compatable. I will post back my findings.
Jeff