Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win2K home network problems

• Please log in to reply

Avarill

Avarill

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello - Any help would be appreciated.

Computers A, B, C and D.

Running Win2KPro SP 4 on all machines.

Zonealarm Free, all IP addresses in trusted zone.

Linksys wireless G router.

All machines happily ping each other, no problems.

Computers B, C and D see each other in network places. New View works fine. But computer A neither sees anyone else, or can be seen. Net View on computer A gives me nothing.

Any help would be appreiated! Thanks :whistling:

Advertisements

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Can computer A ping and be pinged by all others?
Try this.
Go to control panel. Then system. In w2k i think you click computer name or something like that. from there you have to get to change the work group and make sure they are all in the same workgroup.
Sorry i couldn't be more specific but it has been quite a while since i had to use the system applet in w2k. So i don't remember the exact names of where to go. But yeah the problem is most likely the workgroup if they are able to ping pc A

Avarill

Avarill

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for replying!

Yes, they are all in the same workgroup (that is, I named the workgroup the same on all pcs) and pcA can be pinged by the others.

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Although some of these questions have already been addressed please answer again anyway
Questions
1) Do they all have same OS and service pack?
2) Are they all part of the same workgroup?
3) Can PC A ping the others?
4) Do 2 of the PCs have the same computer name?
5) Is there 2 PCs that have the same IP address?

Try this:
Go to start then run and type in \\PC A ip address if from there you can view the files on pc A don't read on and tell me that the ip address worked to see files

I have also had a similar situation like this happen to me. My problem was a corrupted install of windows. Try reinstalling your network card drivers. I had a spare harddrive i was able to install windows on and test before i had to format my main harddrive. If you have a spare harddrive try installing windows on a spare harddrive and try networking that windows rather then the main harddrive in PC A. maybe you have a virus or something.

Avarill

Avarill

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for your help!

<< 1) Do they all have same OS and service pack? >>

Yes, Win2KPro SP4

<< 2) Are they all part of the same workgroup? >>

Yes.

<< 3) Can PC A ping the others? >>

Yes.

<< 4) Do 2 of the PCs have the same computer name? >>

No.

<< 5) Is there 2 PCs that have the same IP address?>>

No. However, I have noticed a problem where if I go to My Network Places / Network and Dialup Connections / Local Area Connection / Properties / TC/ICP and specify an IP address -- the PC will lose its connection to the internet (even if the IP address I specify is not currently in use and after rebooting). This is the case for all computers. When I set it to 'obtain IP address automatically' the net magically reappears. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong?

Then:

<< Try this:
Go to start then run and type in \\PC A ip address if from there you can view the files on pc A don't read on and tell me that the ip address worked to see files >>

No, doesn't work. The error message is: "The filename, directory name, or volumne label syntax is incorrect" however I wouldn't rule out my misunderstanding the command. I typed \\IP address and then <enter>. Was there another command?

<< I have also had a similar situation like this happen to me. My problem was a corrupted install of windows. Try reinstalling your network card drivers. I had a spare harddrive i was able to install windows on and test before i had to format my main harddrive. If you have a spare harddrive try installing windows on a spare harddrive and try networking that windows rather then the main harddrive in PC A. maybe you have a virus or something. >>

Uninstall / reinstall of the network card driver did not help.

Though a new OS install on a spare hard drive DID work. Too bad, as I was hoping to avoid the nuclear option. I do run AV that is updated regularly as well as a separate trojan scanner. My next step would be then to D/L a different AV and see if that 'sees' anything amiss.

Thanks again for your help - any other suggestions would be great.

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
so a clean OS did work
so now we can assume it is software is the problem. on all PC's have an ip address automatic not manual. are you sure you got the right driver. I suggest running adaware then windows defender. if you have spyware doctor try that. Spyware doctor is not free the free version will only find virus not delete it. AVG is another good one to try..

Avarill

Avarill

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I wound up doing a system wipe, and some hours later have it working nicely. Not sure what the problem was, though I keep a pretty tight defense (BO Clean, AVG; run adaware and spybot regularly plus firewall)...

Everything's working swimmingly now, so thanks for the help!