Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with my Nvidia FX 5500 (I think)

• Please log in to reply

Amalthea

Amalthea

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have an Nvidia FX 5500 connected to a Mitsubishi big screen TV via S-Video. Problem is the top and bottom of the picture are off the screen, so every time I want watch something I have to shrink it down by going into the card's settings, to the TV Settings submenu, hitting the Device Adjustments button, and clicking the "-" button 12 times. If I'm watching a series, I have to shrink it at the beginning of each episode. Also, if my mouse wanders over to that screen, I have to reset the Sevice Adjustments.

I think this may be because it's sending a 4:3 picture to the 16:9 screen. Anyone know if there's some way to either make the Device adjustment setting stick or to fix it so it's sending a 16:9 signal?

My system:
Windows XP Pro
AGP card: Nvidia GeForce 6200 (connected to my primary display, a SyncMaster 213T)
PCI card: Nvidia FX 5500 (connected to the TV)

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
did you load the nview utility with the drivers? pretty sure that is in there, though I do not have an nvidia card at the moment...everything in the house is ati

Amalthea

Amalthea

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Not certain what Nview is. I got the card some 2 weeks ago, put it in, and got the newest driver from Nvidia's site.

I don't believe I have it. It appears to be bundled with a bunc of other stuff, and I hate having a bunch of junk I'll mostly never use installed on my computer. I'm looking to see if I can get it by itself.

Edited by Amalthea, 03 June 2006 - 06:38 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
NVIDIA® nView™ multi-display software--bundled free with NVIDIA® ForceWare™ desktop, workstation, mobile, platform, and multimedia software solutions--provides you with a revolutionary way to multi-task and process information easier. Instead of stacking windows within the confines of a single display, imagine spreading your work across multiple displays. If you are a financial analyst--have one monitor per data stream. If you are a graphic artist--use an entire display for palettes, and another for editing. The possibilities are endless with NVIDIA nView technology.

nView is seamlessly integrated within the Microsoft® Windows® environment, helping you maximize productivity though advanced desktop and application management. nView also provides increased efficiency on a single monitor by enabling multiple Windows desktops, quicker access to hidden windows with transparency and window rollups, and hotkeys for access to all nView functions. nView provides a quick and easy way for you to manage multiple Windows desktops, thereby increasing your efficiency and enabling you to see what you've been missing.

NVIEW 3.5 KEY FEATURES

The new and improved nView multi-display wizard is the industry’s easiest and most effective way to get you up and running with multiple monitors.
More robust profiles let you save and restore all display driver settings.
On-screen display setup lets you easily switch display configurations with the click of a button.
Display gridlines allow you to divide up the monitor into separate regions and quickly reposition and resize application windows.
The nView toolbar docks to the top or bottom of the desktop and provides quick access to all nView functionality.
Pop-up blocker for Microsoft Internet Explorer® gives you more control over your Web viewing by blocking unwanted windows.
Mouse kinematics allow you to quickly view hidden windows, clean up the desktop, or switch between multiple desktops.
Desktop management control lets you switch desktops individually on each display.
QuickZoom assists with eye strain and enables ergonomic computing by allowing you to zoom any part of your desktop by pressing a single hotkey.

NOTE: NVIDIA GPUs are enabled to support multi-displays, but graphics cards vary. Please verify multi-display support in the graphics card before purchasing.

Perhaps a forceware custom install has the option to get it on its own