Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CANNOT RECOGNIZE MY CD BURNER!

• Please log in to reply

stoneduck

stoneduck

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have had some trouble with viruses, trojans, and the works, but I have taken care of that, now a year later,(i know i don't do it very often,) I tried to copy some songs to a cd, and now I noticed that my cd burner isn't recognized on my computer, I have tried to look in various places to find out what happened to my burner drive, (f) and it looks like is has been whipped clean off of my computer, now I don't have a cd to reinstall the driver on my computer, is there anything I can do, or do I just need to break my warrantee, and buy a new drive?

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well there is a few things you can do,

first of all cheack in device manager to see if there is a driver conflict
you can get to it by going
start--> control panel --> system--> hardware tab--> device manager then in device manager expand the DVD/CD drives and see if there is driver conflict i think from memory it is marked with a yellow question mark? this could be one of the problems or maybe it is not being rcognised in the bios

in the bios (by hitting delete or f4 or somethign similar at the post screen) look around and see if you can find the auto detect settings and if it asks you to detect harware or somthing and hit that it may show up then
sorry i cant be more detalied with the bios instructions they vary so much!

see what happens and post back
troppo

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
there are a few variables that could help us narrow down your problem. First off are there any lights that turn on on the device itself? Can you open or close it? also what is your ide configuration?

During post (one of the first steps) after the memory test, it will list the ide and sata devices in this order
Primary master
Primary slave
Secondary master
Secondary slave.

see if it shows up in that list. One other thing, make sure the jumper is set to whatever ide position it is at (slave or master)

Thats all the help I can provide right now, gl!

Nixx

stoneduck

stoneduck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ok here is what I can find at the moment, I cannot open or find out bios, sorry but I am not that computer savy, but if this helps, i have a sony vaio system running on windows xp and I bought the CD-R preinstalled on my computer with the DVD drive, it does recognize the DVD drive, and works just fine, The burner drive itself doesn't have lights that come on, it does not open, it doesn't respond to anything I do, and it looks like if there was software on my computer that ran the CD-R drive, it doesn't exist anymore on my computer. So it looks like its just a dead piece of equipment on my computer. If I need the software to run my CD-R how do I find it or find out the make of the CD-R preinstalled on my Sony Vaio desktop computer.

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
Most of the time, you don't need software to install an optical device. if there are no lights or operation, it may not be recieving power...make sure the physical connection is there. also, while you're in there look at the big flat grey cables (ide connectors). The center socket is slave and the end one is the master. on the mb itself, the ide furthest to the outside is usually the primary-also your hd will be on the primary, so give me as much of that info as you can. you can compare that (probably just write it down) to what you see during post (on the first screen):

bla
bla
bla
bla
something about memory
some numbers
varifying ide drives
Primary master [some numbers]
Primary slave
Secondary master
Secondary slave

the primary master will list the serial number of your boot hd. One of the other 3 will list your dvd drive and any other drives you have on there. This information is also in your BIOS under CMOS settings. report back on anything you look at...

stoneduck

stoneduck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Well, apparently when I was waiting for a response, I went to another webpage, one that had freeware, did some troubleshooting there, then went to windows xp update, got an update program there, and now my computer is recognizing my CD-RW drive. Strange that I don't know exactly what did it, but its working now, thanks for the help....