Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Colour Laser - Ozone, VOCs etc.

• Please log in to reply

PGH

PGH

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi, we recently installed an HP Colour Laser CLJ3600 printer and some concerns have arisen regarding the safety of people immediately surrounding it.

I have looked at the product data safety sheets on the HP site and it claims that the levels of ozone, dust and VOCs released during printing are very low (in the case of ozone it claims to be too low to measure), however I have had complaints of headaches, red eyes, coughing/sneezing and 'blocked feeling' in throat and general breathing, all of which sound very like the result of ozone exposure.

The printer is situated in a 'well ventilated' area and is not too close to any workstations, however HP give no guidance for good situation other than simply saying place it in a "well ventilated" area. Well what exactly does that constitute to? I suppose the windows aren't open all the time nor are there any extraction fans in the area, but I've never seen a printer installed where that is considered the norm. Also the use of the printer is very light.

Is there something wrong with the printer? Does this model even release ozone at all? If the HP emission values are correct then in my setup there should be no problems.

My only other thought on this is that it seemed to be worse whilst we were printing rough documents on cheap, generic 'office paper' (which does say it can be used in laserjet printers), so could this have left more toner particles etc. in the air, thus causing a stronger reaction?

I will contact HP soon, it's just we can't have the vital printer giving everyone long lasting headaches.

Oh, also I've heard that printers, photocopiers etc. emit higher concentrations of nasties when they're new, and when they've been 'broken in' this goes down. Is there any truth in that?

Thank you very much :whistling:

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. I would suggest this is something to take up with HP, the manufacturer. If it is installed correctly according to their documentation, there shouldn't be any problem. I will say that I have been around lazer jet printers for years and this is the first time I heard about ozone imissions being of concern. I have heard of several reports that cell phone usage causes brain cancer but I still use my cell phone. I have heard about use of underarm deoderant causing cancer but I still use my deoderant. We have organizations like "science in the public interest" that tell us everying we eat is bad for us but I still eat. If you have people complaining I understand you have a real concern. If that is the case, take it up with HP. Otherwise, I would worry about it.