Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

TuneUp Utilities and Iexplorer!

• Please log in to reply

deicide

deicide

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey,

Im using XP Pro edition. Recently my computer started to cause problems and to run really slow so i tried to solve this with "TuneUp Utilities 2006 5.0.2331". I used some of it's tools and now i can't open the internet explorer from it's normal icons.
The strange thing is that i can browse the internet (using iexplore.exe) if i open it through some other program (I.E double clicking on the "show inbox" button on Gmail Notifier opens an iexplore window just as normal as it was before.).
When i Double click on the iexplore button the computer thinks for a while and then nothing happens.
I recovered all the changes i did with the tuneup tools using it's recovery center but it doesn't seem to work that way either.

Another thing about the problem, i can not be sure what caused the problem as i had atmclk.exe virus and downloaded a software called "smitfraudfix" ( i think there's a mirror for that program somewhere in the forum.) and used it to solve the problem so it could be something that i've done deleting the virus as well.

Any replies and suggestions will be truley appreciated.
Greets - Dror :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have internet explorer at the top of the start menu, right click it, click remove from list

Use search, include hidden and system files, look for internet explorer, you need the programme files folder, click to open it, look for the ie logo at 249KB in size, right click it, click pin to start menu, click start, left click the ie logo, hold the button down then move it to the top, release the button, click it to open IE

deicide

deicide

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

If you have internet explorer at the top of the start menu, right click it, click remove from list

Use search, include hidden and system files, look for internet explorer, you need the programme files folder, click to open it, look for the ie logo at 249KB in size, right click it, click pin to start menu, click start, left click the ie logo, hold the button down then move it to the top, release the button, click it to open IE

Im trying it right now, thank you.

btw - it's a little off topic but i was wondering weather your recommend on using "TuneUp Utilities" again, and if you don't do you recommend on using someother 'optimizing tools'?

Greets - Dror :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It's unusual for Tune Up do do this, see if you get IE back as it should be then run Tune Up

deicide

deicide

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I can't find a logo in the folder that you told me to look in.
could you please specify the name of the file i need to be searchin?

thank!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Internet Explorer

deicide

deicide

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
i did search for internet explorer, opened the folder (C:/Program Files/Internet Explorer) and there's nothing matching the size or the description you mentioned. The folder contains the following :

[Folders]:
Connection Wizard
MUI
PLUGINS
SIGNUPS

[Other Files]:

hmmapi.dll 38kb
iedw.exe 18kb
iexplore.exe 91kb
Internet Explorer.ico 34kb
Q330994.cat 7kb
Q813489.cat "
Q818529.cat "
Q822925.cat "
Q824145.cat "
Q831167.cat "
Q832894.cat "
Q837009.cat "

Any Ideas?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Maybe IE7 is a different size, it is this one you need

[attachment=8814:attachment]

deicide

deicide

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
There seems to be nothing in here, i've listed to content of the folder above. none of the other folders i've found contains anything worth of mentioning.

EDIT :

just wanted to mention that when i click on some internter shurcut (such as the ones that you can place on you desktop, right click -> create shortcut ..) it says the next thing :
The file does not have a program associated with it for preforming this action. create an associatino in the folder options control panel.

EDIT 2:

using Internet explorer 6

Edited by deicide, 04 June 2006 - 11:03 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Windows File Protection will show an on screen blue progress bar which will simply disappear when the scan is complete, reboot when it does

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

deicide

deicide

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
i didn't get any windows XP CD with my PC :whistling:
tough case ..

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try system restore, look for a system checkpoint which is before you used Tune Up

Can you borrow and XP CD, it needs to be the same version as was originally installed, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an XP SP1 CD