Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't download anything from Internet

• Please log in to reply

MadMex2k

MadMex2k

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have been having trouble with downloads. I can start a download, do either a 'run' or 'save', tell it where to save to, but nothing is coming thru. I have turned off the windows firewall, turned off my anti-virus, still no go. I do have windows defender and ie7 on my pc as well. Any clues or suggestions? Mostly downloading software, upgrades, or some music, nothing really large. I can't run utorrent either.

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there MadMex2k, welcome to Geeks To Go Forums.

Can I interest you into using a new browser? Firefox, is way better than IE. It has more features, better secuirty, faster and much more. This should resolve your problem, but if you wish to carry on using IE7 we will work through getting your problem fixed.

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

Cool :whistling:

MadMex2k

MadMex2k

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I used to use firefox, and I tried to download it again just for the download features, but I can't download.

MadMex2k

MadMex2k

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have ran spybot search and destroy to see if it picked up any hijackers, and have ran a virus scan also, both came up clear. I think its some setting in IE7.

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Try cleaning out your cache and history, or to make it easier download:

http://www.filehippo...nload_ccleaner/

Run CCleaner, this will automatically clean out your histroy and your cache. Then try downloading a program to a different directory (So instead of downloading the file to the harddrive, download the file to C:\Downloads)

Let me know if this changes anything. Cool :whistling:

Edit: Remeber that IE7 is just a BETA version and may have errors.

Edited by spike_hacker_inc, 04 June 2006 - 09:14 AM.

MadMex2k

MadMex2k

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
cleared cache/history, still not downloading. I don't have a space issue, I currently have over 80 gigs available on 2 HDDs.

MadMex2k

MadMex2k

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
tried to save to a usb thumb drive also, still no luck. The downloads run, look like they are depositing to specified folder, then nothing. have changed file views for hidden files, show all files.Checked all temp foldes on pc, nothing. I recently added an 80 gig hdd to replace a 10 gig primary. I used an IBM drive, used OnTrack Disk Manager to copy primary drive to new drive. I thought since i had to temporarily move some services to my D drive, it caused an issue, but everything seems to work. I was able to download an upgrade for MS office, I had to search for temp folder, but once I located it, I have checked same folder each time and run search for files once I download. I even downloaded directly to desktop to see if I am just missing something.

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there again MadMex2k, sorry for the late reply. I cannot be sure if this is a malware issue but I am going to put you through to the malware forum and if the staff say that your are clean and you are still experincing problems, then post back to this thread. Then we know that this is not a lost cause.

Please read this: Read This Before Posting A Hijackthis Log (Click on the link)

That will give you steps that will help you clean up 70% of the problems yourself. Then please download "Hijackthis" and run Hijackthis with log. Save the log file here: Malware Removal - HiJackThis Logs Go Here

When you have followed all these steps. A Geeks To Go Staff Member will help you fix your problem.

(Note: Please be patient, the "Malware Forum" is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual.)

Thank you and goodluck. :whistling:

Kenny94

Kenny94

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
Internet Explorer 7 Beta... :whistling: ...... :help:

Have you tried using or creating a different User Account and testing under that? Go to the User Accounts applet in the Control Panel. You can just enable the guest account for testing purposes. You will have to logoff and log into the new account. Try to download from this Account..

Also,try booting into save mode with networking and then try a download. To do this , start tapping the F8 key after a restart until a menu comes up. Then choose the Safe Mode with Networking. This will boot a minimal load of the OS. And see if you can download firefox/Hijackthis successfully.

Then follow spike_hacker_inc instructions... :blink:

MadMex2k

MadMex2k

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Sorry its been so long since I originally posted my issue. I have been working 12 hour shifts.

I wasn't able to definitely determine the root cause of my issue, but I was able to get FireFox onto a SD card and load it up. I can now download without them disappearing, and run my NAV updates and the like.
I did eventually run HiJack This, as well as SpyBot Search And Destroy, Trojan Hunter, Windows Defender and a thorough virus scan...all were negative. So I chalked it up to Windows IE 7 and have made FireFox my default browser once again.
I am not sure what if anything changed about IE7 to cause it to not allow downloads, but I wasn't able to find any settings changed or anything that appeared out of the ordinary.
It was quite strange though to see downloads hit the desktop for a couple of secnds and then disappear.
Thanks for all your help.