Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Pro, Unusual Internet Access Problem.

• Please log in to reply

ErrWhatever

ErrWhatever

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello people and thanks for any help in advance.

OK, I'm not a novice by any chance but the problem that I am currently having seems to make no sense whatever. Perhaps it is just one of those unexplainable Windows malfunctions but that's why I am here.

Problem:

I cannot access any non-https website on my laptop, I can on a different laptop though or on a different profile on this laptop. I am aware of the MTU issue with being unable to access secure websites, but this seems to be the opposite.

I would also be useful to note that I have been using this laptop and the same connections since forever and also that the problem started after a manual reboot (I did not install anything prior to the reboot - just routine). I am not a reckless user and don't think it's a spyware issue, I have run Ad-aware and Spybot (just in case).. nothing there.

Another interesting thing to note is that if I restore the laptop to a previous date, internet access returns only to disappear following another reboot.

If you're still with me any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi ErrWhatever...

Kinda sounds like something you have loading at startup may be the culprit. I think the first thing I'd try would be to run the System Restore and then empty the temp folders, delete cookies, and remove the files from the Prefetch folder.

I'll assume you know how to delete the temp files and cookies. :whistling:

To empty the Prefetch, click Start, then Run, type prefetch, and click "Ok". Click "Edit" on the toolbar and choose "Select All"...press "Delete". This will force the machine to repopulate the folder on bootup.

Reboot. If you still have the problem, we'll start looking at your startup applications.

wannabe1

ErrWhatever

ErrWhatever

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

Thanks for the help but I have already done this including disabling all start up programs (I only have a select few programs that I need at startup). By simple logic, one would expect the problem to be start-up related but alas, it is not.

A quick fix would be to copy across my files and settings to a new profile. But , there are some settings that I am unable to port across.

Thanks again.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Please download and run HiJackThis. Save a log and attach it to your next post for me.

ErrWhatever

ErrWhatever

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for your help.

Log attached.

Attached Files

ErrWhatever

ErrWhatever

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
This problem can be resolved by renaming the corrupt profile, and allowing Windows to recreate it in during login. You can either do this by creating another Administrator account or remotely (if you're on a network).

You can then obviously copy across your files and settings. Further registry "hacking" is needed to completely clone the failed profile.

Good luck!