Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

can't delete "cloned" drive

• Please log in to reply

newyorkdon

newyorkdon

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I recently had a system crash of my windows xp home OS. After a repaired of the system I now have an extra logical drive that shows in windows explore and in all my other programs such as virus scanner,etc. However neither Partition Magic or windows Disk Management show this drive. Namely I have one hard drive with c: as primary with an extended partition with logical drives d: e: and f:. Windows explorer shows an additional drive g:. This g drive is an exact duplicate of f. Any change I make to either f or g is mirrore in the other. Additionally if I delete something from either it goes to the recycle bin but is invisible. How do I get rid of the "clone drive".

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run
devmgmt.msc
<enter>

VIEW > SHOW HIDDEN DEVICES

anything greyed out under drives section?

newyorkdon

newyorkdon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the reply. Tried this nothing is greyed out.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run
regedit
<enter>

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

What do you see in that key
?

newyorkdon

newyorkdon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

start > run
regedit
<enter>

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

What do you see in that key
?

I assume that you want to knoew if the G drive is listed as a dos device. It is NOT!! the only ones listed are the ones that are truly there. Once again thanks for the help.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices1

do you ahve a key with a 1 on it, like above

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Also, this will sound very counter-intuitive, but it might work

start > run
devmgmt.msc
<enter>

Go the DRIVES, right click each starting from the last letter, and choose UNINSTALL...do not reboot until all are gone, then reboot

Windows will rededect the drives as restart

newyorkdon

newyorkdon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices1

do you ahve a key with a 1 on it, like above

no I don't but will try you're other suggestion thanks

newyorkdon

newyorkdon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Also, this will sound very counter-intuitive, but it might work

start > run
devmgmt.msc
<enter>

Go the DRIVES, right click each starting from the last letter, and choose UNINSTALL...do not reboot until all are gone, then reboot

Windows will rededect the drives as restart

went to devmgmt.msc but the only drives shown were the actual drives ie internal external and printer but doesn't list the drive letters. I'm probably dumb and don't know where to look?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
no, that is correct...I want you to UNINSTALL your current, real drives....windows will refind them all

I know it sounds odd to remove your drives, and your gut tells you windows will crash and die. It will not, Windows Will ask you to reboot, and it will reinstall the drives

newyorkdon

newyorkdon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

no, that is correct...I want you to UNINSTALL your current, real drives....windows will refind them all

I know it sounds odd to remove your drives, and your gut tells you windows will crash and die. It will not, Windows Will ask you to reboot, and it will reinstall the drives

HooRay it worked the "clone" drive is gone. Thanks so much Gerry. You're a saint. Thank God for people like you. Thanks again!! :whistling:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
:whistling: