Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

ipconfig/?

• Please log in to reply

adqjohn

adqjohn

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
:whistling: I have been reading about IPCONFIG/. My question concerns release and renew. I have two computers on a wireless router (DHCP). OK, ipconfig/release and the ip address goes away (0.0.0.0.0). Why does it release that address? Where is my connection at that point? ipconfig/renew gives me the same ip back and I see that it renews the lease. When I release it, is it still physically there...... why do I lose my connection?
Can someone unconfuse me Thanx
John

PARANOIA:
A healthy understanding of the way the universe works

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
When you release the ip address, you can no longer route ip packets over a tcpip network. Since that is the default protocol in a windows xp/2000 network, you are killing your connection.

When you renew your ip address, your dhcp server (router) gives you an address so that packets can once more move to and from your PC.

You dhcp server tracks what machine has what ip address by matching it to the mac address on your network interface card. The DHCP server reserves your ip address for a predetermined time, so when you release it, the dhcp server holds it incase you come back.

Your machine loses its ip address when your pc is turned off

When you turn the pc on, it checks with the DHCP server to see if it can have an ip address (if you are set up for dhcp)...the dhcp server looks up your mac address in its memory and says, "Ah. he had this ip address before and the lease has not expired, I will give it back to him,"