Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Comp is slow, while and after fixing a .dll problem

• Please log in to reply

Zarathax

Zarathax

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
First off, i was just about to start up a game call EverQuest 2, whats besides the point, my mouse started lagging around, and my system became VERY slow, so i decided to restart my computer.
My computer started up as normal, then when Windows XP started up (where the little bar goes across the screen to show the progress) became stop and go, in which it usually takes 15-30 seconds to start up, too 15-30 minutes! now when my computer started it was rather slow, but once a message popped up, the speed fine. The Message was the following
"Failure to run NvCpl.dll Error performing inpage operation"
It seemed to do be the library of my NVidia drivers. so i popped in the disks and reinstalled everything, now when i start up my comp, i dont get the error message, but my computer still takes forever to startup, i also, through all of this, can't open and folder, play any media file, get into my computer or control panel, or ANYTHING, pretty much what i can open is internet explorer, mozzilla firefox, and Run Commands

It is a bit odd, because since i have EverQuest 2 on schedualed tasks it open when i log on, but it opens and doesn't proceed (it first scans file for the launcher incase of a change in coding or graphics, then loads up the launcher) but it doesn't proceed at all, i can download items, and i pretty sure i will be able. if any help can be provided it will be very much appreciated, and i'm very sorry if i posted in wrong forum.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Do you have a windows install cd? You can try running the system file checker. You need to put the windows install cd in your cd/dvd drive, then go to start, run and type sfc /scannow In the Open field, type sfc /scannow (Note: There is a space between sfc and /scannow)
Select the OK button.
Follow the prompts throughout the System File Checker process.
Reboot the computer when System File Checker completes.

Zarathax

Zarathax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Is there anything else that i can do that doesn't involve the Windows XP CD? my comp came with it and im pretty sure that i never got one. can i run the scan with out the CD?

Zarathax

Zarathax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
when i ran the program, it said it was searching for all components to make sure they are a all protected and in their original versions. this is with out an install CD, since i dont have one, it finished with no promps or anything.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
When you run the sfc /scannow, it checks system files and replaces those that need fixing. For it to work you need a windows install cd. Sadly, many off the shelf computer manufacturers don't supply that, shamefull but true. Do you know someone who has a windows install cd they can loan you? You are going to use it to run the file checker, not to install windows. There may be other things you can try, but this seemes like a good way to make sure all of the protected system files are ok.

Zarathax

Zarathax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
im sure i will be able to find a XP disk off someone, but is there anything else i can try in the mean time? i need to get on my game, Everquest =)

Zarathax

Zarathax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Now when i start up my computer it the speed is fine, it take a few more a minute or 2 to login, i got a prompt for new hardware, Video Controller (VGA compatiable) and i put in my video cards disk, it installed my NVidia geforce 6600) now im comp is just laggy, (if i scroll up and down on this page right now, it is very unsmooth) and i can't play Everquest 2, for when it opens and scans for updates, nothing happens, there are also several folder that i try to open, it think is freezes my computer for about 10 seconds, and the folder just doesn't open, please help, thanks in advance.

Zarathax

Zarathax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yet ANOTHER update, This oddities now are, a slow login, unabililty to open folders and clients (games and such, including any game, my computer/documents/music ect) unable to connect to others through game clients, excessive lagging during ending random processes or working it too hard (all i did was end a process would freeze for 2 minutes, or i was looking at contents in start menu->all programs->some random folder, had to reboots) i will once again try to reinstall my Drivers for my Motherboard

Zarathax

Zarathax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
as of the moment, my computer, isn't very slow, if i try to open my computer, and folders my computer thinks for 10 seconds, freezing my computer, then goes back to normal, with no folder opened, if i work it a bit hard, so it has to think a little, it might just crash, as just thinking forever and i can't do anything (i'v made sure it just wasnt thinking along time like other thing, but it did that for several hours) so if i can get any help on bring back my beauty, i will be very much grateful, will keep up posts of my evolving errors.

Zarathax

Zarathax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
as suggested, i tried downloading the latest drivers, but didn't help, just changed my resolution to default.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
It might be a good idea to check for malware. Work through the guide at http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html
If you find that you have malware that you are unable to clean up yourself, post a hijack this log in the malware forum. If you find that you don't have malware post back and we will try to help.

Zarathax

Zarathax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
i'v done everything on that topic, the online scan stopped part way through, and i tried to use it several times over, and the CleanUp!.exe freezes everytime, it says 'Cleaning Explorer Cache' i'm not sure what the problem is with that, anyway, i t hasn't seemed to make my computer run any different, though after i used all those programs, and deleting several problems they found, it hasnt made a different, when i get back on that computer i will run Ewido again, since i think i got the updates, but im not sure. i still have troubles once in a while to open folders, i can open several folders on my desktop, but i can't open any stystem items (such as my computer, or control panel) i can open several games, such as Warcraft 3, Diablo 2, red alert, and Elder Scrolls 3 and 4, but i still can't play everquest 2, when it loads to prepare files, and scan for updates to open the launcher with the scanner, it never proceeds at the point of 'Preparing Files' and usually, if im not connected the internet is displays 'Can not connect to the network, please make sure your connected to the internet if you have to connect to your modem' but now whenever a take out my Cord (i use a router off my brother's computer to access the internet) it doesn't display the internet error message, and i was wondering if there is anything i can do (several hours of updates to get if i reinstall)

:whistling:

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Post a "hijack this" log in the malware forum. Refer to this thread so they can see what you have done on your own. Be patient. They are the experts who will look over your log and advise you as to what you need to do. The will get to you.