Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Critical Updates fail to install

• Please log in to reply

Discom

Discom

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I've installed Windows XP SP2 for the second time now on my HP NC8000 laptop. After that I install some additional drivers for video, sound and network and after that I succesfully updated everything using Microsoft Update.

Next step is installing Office 2003 Professional. Visiting Microsoft Update will lead to a situation where some updates are installed successfully but 4 critical updates won't:
  • Security update for Excel 2003 (KB905756)
  • Update for Office 2003 (KB907417)
  • Update for Outlook 2003 (KB913807)
  • Update for Outlook 2003 Junk Email filter (KB916521)
I downloaded them individually but also a manual install will lead to the message 'The update cannot be applied'. On another site I found a tip to start the Office Source Engine service before installing the updates but that won't help either.

The application log will show 4 events for each time an update failes:
  • Event 1015, Failed to connect to server. Error: 0x800401F0
  • Event 1015, Failed to connect to server. Error: 0x800401F0
  • Event 1023, Product: Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 - Update '{1807A881-57A4-4791-8F21-7485F785A1E1}' could not be installed. Error code 1648. Additional information is available in the log file C:\Profiles\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\OHotfix\OHotfix(00015)_Msi.log
  • Event 11708, Product: Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 -- Installation failed.
I attached the logfile (renamed with .txt extension) mentioned in event 1023 and also the logfile OHotfix(00015).Log (renamed as well).

I found a topic on this forum that might be the same situation but because I did not see any positive reaction on the large amount of steps mentioned, I posted my situation over here hoping for some hints before giving that a try. For a couple of days I'm trying to find a solution and most links that searchengines give me, are not helpfull or dead (even some links to the MS website).

I think there is something wrong with Windows Installer, so I will try to reinstall version 2.0 (the URL in de OHotfix(00015).Log file is suggesting that).

Any ideas or tips are very welcome!

Attached Files

Edited by Discom, 04 June 2006 - 03:26 PM.

Advertisements

Discom

Discom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok, Windows Installer 2.0 is included in Windows XP, so you cannot download it and do a reinstall. Windows Installer 3.0 gives me the message that 'Setup has deteced that the Service Pack version of this system is newer than the update you are applyin'g. There is no need to install this update'.

I'm not sure about that last sentence. :whistling:

Anyone knows how to check the correct functioning of Windows Installer or am I going the wrong direction?

Edited by Discom, 04 June 2006 - 03:37 PM.

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 993 posts
  • MVP
Error code 1648... see if this helps :

http://support.micro...id=2488&sid=247

Discom

Discom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok, the reg subkeys 867 and 868 were missing but after adding them, none of the updates will succeed. :whistling:

Thanks for trying to help me with this annoying issue.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Are you using this version

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

Have you tried Office Update

http://office.micros...te/default.aspx

Discom

Discom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I got version 3.0 instead of 3.1. Installing it right now...

Discom

Discom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok, installed and rebooted the system. After that a manual install still failes, also with the service mentioned above started.

The Office Update site also failes and gives me the suggestions below:
  • Install the required updates using the "Fullfile" version of updates.
  • Try installation again with a smaller number of updates.
  • Do you have enough disk space to install the selected updates?
  • I am confused about which Office product CD the Installation Wizard requires.
  • The Installation Wizard could not find the requested file on the CD I provided.
  • Registry cleanup software may have removed registry keys needed to install updates.
I already tried the first suggestion ofcourse. The others are not applicable, except for the last one maybe. I will try that one later and keep you posted!

Thanks for helping so far!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It should say which Office CD

Which registry cleaner did you use

Discom

Discom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I never used any registry cleaner... :whistling: It's more that I want to check if any registry keys are missing.

Edited by Discom, 05 June 2006 - 11:36 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Retry Microsoft Update

Advertisements

Discom

Discom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Sounds like I'm busy for tonight (I had work to do), but I'll give it a try! :whistling:

Edited by Discom, 06 June 2006 - 12:43 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hope it goes well

Discom

Discom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Disk cleanup done (did not select the Office Installation files to delete).
Disk defragmentation is done.
sfc /scannow is running and it is asking me for the Windows XP Service Pack 2 CD... :whistling: I've got a Windows XP CD with SP2 included. I don't have a CD for SP2 alone. I do have the network install for SP2. I will try to get the proper CD for this tomorrow. Work is calling with some disrupted services of one of our major clients, so I probably will not be able to continue this tonight.

Thanks so far!

Edited by Discom, 06 June 2006 - 01:05 PM.

Discom

Discom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I'm getting a popup again and again asking me for a particular XP or SP CD. This is not going to work for me I'm afraid. The install was done using a VLK CD but I also tried a regular XP SP2 CD. Same troubles. Maybe I will try a clean install tomorrow evening again.

Discom

Discom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok. Did a fresh install with the Windows XP SP2 VLK CD, vistited Microsoft Update with success. Installed Office Professional 2003 and after that visited Microsoft Update with success! The difference is now that I did not yet install Project Professional 2003 and Visio Professional 2003...

Anyway, problem solved for now. I will continue to install some additional components and than create an image!

Thanks for the support.