Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Router Issues.Cant Get Connected!

• Please log in to reply

congested

congested

• Pip
  • 1 posts
[font=Palatino Linotype][size=5]Hi. Ok. Anyone with any help or even any suggestions pls. do chime in.

Ok- this is a lot - but pls, read.

We bought a NetGear wirles router (WGR614)
We are trying to connect 2 computers- A Dell Demension (w/windows XP pro) & an HP Pavillion (w/Windows XP home). The HP is the computer that already has the High-Speed Internet (cox cable modem). First off, I wasnt even sure if we were suppose to install/connect it to both computers or just one....it doesnt specify that- and for a first time-user of a router-and no computer whiz.....that alone is confusing as [bleep]!

Anyway, I just hooked it up to both computers and went through the whole installation thing separately- first with the HP, then with the Dell. When I did it with the HP, I went thru the steps & ofcoars it told me that this computer already has a valid internet connection. But I wasnt sure whether they both had to be aquainted with the router or not...thats why I did that. So, then hooked it up to the Dell (the one which needs the internet connection) And I went thru the set-up, connection proccess with it- 1st I was having problems with the whole IP configuration thing... I have no idea wher or how to get the MAC address, IP address, IP subnet mask and so forth. So I just had the "set up wozard" detect them manually. But it still wasnt working properly. I kept trying and trying (pls. note that every time I do this, Its required to restart the computer, router, modem and so forth).Then finally I went thru the set-up agian, And it is now telling me that this computer already has a valid internet connection. So... I opened my explorer and trued to get on. It worked, but very slow....then after a while it picked up.

So, now Im thinking its all good and I have my network or wireless connection established. Well, I go to disconnect the ethernet cable from the router and to plug it back into the HP computers' Cable modem where it belongs.....and now I have no connection with the Dell. Isnt it suppose to be a wirelss router...meaning that you can go anywhere "wirelss " with it (in the house)??? Well why is it now working? So every time I wanted to use the Dell, I would have to unhook the cable from the HP modem and then hook it up to the Dell & router and then back to the HP when I want to use it (unplugging and restarting and on and on...).

Ok. So here comes the major blow now..... After about 3 weeks of that, the HP crashes! It freezes up and the only way to restart it is to shut it iff manually. After that it would not start, it said it was missing some windows configuration. Anyhow, the only way to fix it was to do a system restore. Which we did. Loosong all files , pictures and stuff! Well, we got over that. We reinstalled the modem and every thing else.But now, it seems that we cannot get ANY internet connection with the DELL. The computer that first needed the connection.

Any one that may have experiance w/a wirelss router (net gear) will know that when setting it up, you have to type an address into the broswer first (http//192.168.0.1) thats what was given to us. This will then display the set-up screen, in order to walk us thru the process and get us connected. It askes us for the IP stuff and configuration. Well, the first time, went ok (still not properly, but we got connected). But now, we cannot even get to the set-up screen. When we type in the http://.... we keep getting the "cannot find server page".

Please anyone who may have any suggestions or ideas, please please do given them. I am desperate here and need to have this computer connected asap. I have been trying everything...and Im out of fuel and patience.....ready to pull my hair out!!!! :whistling:

Any short cuts???..... or tweaks...or exceptions to basic rules or configuration???

What aboutusing the windows xp network set-up wizard or the wireless set up wizard...or any xp setup wizard??
Anyhting.
Please help.

Thank you in advanced. Jaimie

Advertisements

Hawaiantom

Hawaiantom

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Not to ask the dumb question here but your dell has a wireless card in it right? Do you know what brand it is? if so please post back with brand. Also I would suggest removing all of the router software from the dell. If your connecting via wireless you dont need the software on that machine for the router. Tom