Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cookies not being saved

• Please log in to reply

Deven

Deven

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
I just went through a lot of trouble of removing malware recently and now I noticed when I visit pages in IE that require me to login (for example, even geekstogo.com), if I close that window and go back to it 5 min. later, I am forced to re-login (and I did check the "Remember Me" box). This is happening for every website that I visit that stores a cookie... any idea how to fix this problem?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
this should explain it all...

http://www.microsoft...acy/config.mspx

Deven

Deven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Everything is configured properly like on that page. I didn't mess with anything.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
then try this

read it ALL first

To protect your computer from old system files, Microsoft created a special service that is built into the operating system. This service monitors your system files, and if one is replaced or deleted, ICS will automatically restore the system file.

SFC works in conjunction with a utility called Windows File Protection that keeps the system file cache: (%Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache) uppdated with the newest Microsoft Approved files as they are installed on your system. I prefer to use the system backup for the ability to roll back to a former configuration however.

To manually invoke the system file checker, be sure you have administrative access then go to the command prompt and type:

sfc /scannow

The system will immediately begin to check all the current system files and restore the cached approved copies. You may be asked to insert the Windows CD as well during the restore.

Clue: Keep in mind that after you perform a system file restore you should install the newest service pack so you are running the most current, Microsoft approved system files.

For you XP users, SFC should be used as a last resort. If you have been creating system restore points, first roll back to your latest restore point and see if that fixes your problem

Deven

Deven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Will I lose all of my files by doing SFC?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
no..its just going to check windows files and reset them as necessary

Edited by happyrck, 05 June 2006 - 05:45 PM.